E25 Main Sail

I have a 1983 25+ with the original UK main. I am trying to find out the purpose of this line running along the lower end of the mainsail luff.
I have a loop on the end of this line and loop it on the reefing hook. Reefing becomes a problem because along with shorting the sail, I have to shorten this line. Reefing is a busy enough time for me without having to shorten this line.

Attachments

• mainsail1.jpg
    mainsail1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 356
  • mainsail2.jpg
    mainsail2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 238

rssailor

Mainsail

I have a 1979 Ericson 25+ and have no line similar to what you seem to have. If the line attaches to a block on the mast the line may be a lazy jack that was added by someone, to catch the sail. I have extensivly sailed my boat and have had no problems with the two mains that I have. Both are made by Quantum sails and are great sails. I have made many rigging improvements on my boat, if you are interested, I can post some pics. Ryan

Attachments

• VALLEJ_2.JPG
    VALLEJ_2.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 287

Seth

Sustaining Partner
25+ Mainsail

If that is really an '83 mainsail, I built it at my loft!!! Not that it matters, but what you are looking at is called a "jackline", and the purpose is to allow you to pull the luff reef cringle away from the mast and down to the reef hook without having to remove the slides from the mast. Without this line, you may not be able to lower the ring to the reef hooks without.

You should keep it just loose enough to do that.

If you still have questions please contact me directly and I will be happy to help you,

Good sailing,

Seth