E25: Is this a centreboard or fin keel model??

idearat

Hi folks. I'm hoping someone familiar with the E25 can help me determine wether this one for sale is the centreboard or fin model.

Looking for my next boat, planning to go small and simple this time (but not to trailer). Loved the E27 I owned in the early 90’s, so I'm attracted to an E25 for sale in Vancouver... that being a 4-hour drive / ferry away, so a full day's travel and $200 ferry fare to view.

I asked the seller whether it was the centreboard or fin keel model; he replied “How would I tell??”. He later said he checked with the previous owner and it's a fin. I also described the cabin-top centreboard winch and mechanism (as I undestand them; I’ve never seen one), and he said “Definitely not a centreboard, then”. Needless to say, my confidence in him is not high, especially as some clues in his (totally inadequate) pictures still have me suspicious. I'm not interested in a centreboard model, and it would be such a shame to make the trip only to turn around and come straight home.

Here's the ad. If you blow up the first picture you can see what looks to me like a winch on the cabin top, with something (solar panel?) leaning against it.

And here's a picture he sent me (sorry for the orientation, it seemed to flip on uploading) of the cabin. There's a hump in the middle of the salon sole that looks designed for the centreboard, but maybe they used the same liner for all the E25s? And there looks to be a removable panel on the aft face of the mast post, maybe to access the c/b raising line for maintenance?

I'd love to either put this boat out of my mind, or be motivated to go see it... there's seems to be a dearth of good, small cruising boats on the local market.

Thanks for any help! ...Perry.

BBC9BE69-2129-4CF1-8943-34E288AAAA31.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Weird. But if the former former owner confirms it's a fin keel, probably is.

If it were me--which ain't you, of course--I would ask for many more pictures and quiz him about the age of sails and outboard and so on.

Generally a boat listed in "good" condition means the boat is a mess. I mean, not even "very good"? Point being that if the guy is unaware how to sell a boat, or hung up on his "$6000. firm", and not responsive to legit inquiries like yours, I might lose interest on those grounds.

1-rotateBBC9BE69-2129-4CF1-8943-34E288AAAA31.jpg

idearat

I agree with you, Christian, and normally I would write it off for the same reasons. I've looked at a lot of boats that were written up much more convincingly and were losers in person. A few things keep me interested in this one, though, and if it were easy to see I'd go see it... not that I'd take his "firm" seriously. (He started at 7k mid-March, and said the boat had to be out by April 1... now he's dropped it 1000 and says firm.)

I think I saw this boat advertised last year, and remember being impressed by the pics. Can't find the ad anymore. Also, another Ericson really appeals, and this may be the first E25 I've ever seen in this area. And... there's just not much on the market, and I'm low on patience. I've been boatless too long!

Thanks for flipping the pic, btw!

Perry.

p.s. I did ask him a bunch of questions about engine, sails etc, and it became clear he has no idea. He bought it a year ago, on a whim it seems, and appears to have no sailing or boating experience, and now finds he has no time for the boat. More red flags, I know, but maybe in a year he can't have messed it up too badly?

Sigh... or I'm deluding myself.

Last edited: