E25 Chain Plate/Bulkhead Connection Structural

Eslovett

SV Dulcinea
I am looking at purchasing a '74 E25. The owner has indicated that the bulkhead around the chain plates has received water penetration. He has re-enforced the bulkhead. Two questions: Is this chain plate/bulkhead connection structural? If so, does this fix look solid?

Attachments

• DSC00116s.jpg
    DSC00116s.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC00112s.jpg
    DSC00112s.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 125

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Chainplate

Eslovett- Looks extremely solid! As long as the bulkhead is squred solidly in place and the bulkhead is good, I would not worry at all. Rob Hessenius

Steve Swann

Member III
Eslovett

Those chainplates are quite a bit longer than the original and would appear to be overkill. If the wood is sound where the bolts are going through, it doesn't appear that you have anything to worry about from a simple strength issue.

If some of the plywood is soft near the upper portions, you might be able to use a penetrating epoxy to stabilize the area. Also, look at where the bulkheads meet the settee berths, this is an area that can get soft from standing water, too.

"Git Rot" or WEST epoxies might be considered.

Eslovett

SV Dulcinea
Thanks for the Info!

:egrin: Thanks for responding to my concerns. I have decided to purchase this boat. One of the reasons I chose this boat is this website! If a line of boats can earn the respect and admiration of such a fine group of folks, I want one!

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Congradulations

Eslovtt- Congrads on your purchase. Glad you found us. Please feel free to ask whatever you like. Rob Hessenius

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome Aboard

Eslovtt, Yet another "welcome" from way over in Oregon.
From your locale and bio that mentions Lightnings, I wonder if you will have some great lake-sailing stories to share with us someday in the Raftup forum!
Lightnings are still sailed actively at one nearby small boat club here.
Loren

:egrin: