E23 Trailer VIN location?

Tempest

Member I
Hey Guys,

So I'm having registration problems with the trailer I bought (came with my E23). Due to some idiotic privacy laws I'm unable to figure out in who's name my trailer was previously registered. I could get this done if I had a VIN number but I can't find one anywhere on the trailer. Based on pics I've looked at on the internet, this looks like the original trailer and there's a weird spot at the back where EYC1 has rusted through the paint (no idea how that could have happened).

Anyway, where is the stock location for the VIN on these trailers? I'm assuming it would have to be punched in somewhere but I can't find it. I'm really hoping they weren't daft enough to use a sticker.

Thanks for the help!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have seen a 'sticker' used for this on trailers, decades ago. Even the metal-ized plastic ones have a finite life.
Side of frame rail, and often close to the tongue.

Then there is the added complication that when and where it was original sold it might not have needed a license.
(In Oregon, a small trailer with less total weight of boat and trailer used to have to be licensed at a gross weight of 1800 pounds.)

Bringing a non-HIN boat into compliance in our fair state requires creation of a registration number, and is done by application. Then a local LEO comes by to eyeball the craft and sign off the form. Then the Oregon Marine Board issues an "official" substitute HIN. Home built have this done all the time.

I imagine that a small trailer would go thru a similar process.
Bringing in a vessel or trailer from a different political jurisdiction might also trigger this process. Example would be when I imported a 26 foot sailboat I had to convince our titling agency that the former owners in BC never had a formal title because at that time the Province did not require one.

Best of luck on your quest.

Loren

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I've had to go through this several times due to moving back and forth between Oregon and Washington.
In once case, a trailer with a "sticker" on the front - right where flying road gravel quickly ground it away - had back-up stamps on the frame and axle.
In another case, no VIN could be found at all and the state applied a new VIN to it and took the title. They told me I could apply for a new title after three years! Come to think of it, I never have - since changed states again.