e23 Mk1 trailering and related info

kjenne

Greetings all.
I am new to this list, I recently purchased a 23' Ericson Mk 1 built in '69. Hull number 48. The boat is moored in Mission Bay, San Diego.
I have sailed a bit as a crew member on a Olsen 30 but I am a first time boat owner and I'm still very nieve so please forgive the stupid questions...
I went into this with a low budget (this is where everyone laughs!) and I am trying to do what's best for the boat and my budget. My impression is that it has not been out of the water in some time.
The question is related to maintenance and hauling. The boat needs to be moved, and I wonder if it is more worth while to have it hauled out and bottom painted or if it is better to buy a trailer and haul it out myself. It certainly could use the time and attention to bring it into its natural beauty and function. something I am capable of but a labor of love as I understand it.
a haul out and bottom paint was estimated at $600. But that is if nothing is wrong with the bottom... Then it would be a slip rental on a temporary basis until I can arrange to set another mooring.
How easy are these fixed keel boats to pull out and launch by trailer? I need to find/buy/ build a trailer to fit if that was the recommended option. Does anyone out there have one who would be willing to provide the optimal dimensions or photos necessary to build one? or one for sale or rent locally would obviously be ideal, but they are hard to come by as I now understand.
Sight unseen I know, but what would you recommend would be the best thing for the $$.
Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
TIA,
Keith

mdgann

'76 E23
It's a cinch to trailer sail these E23s. I have a fixed keel '76 that I put in and pulled out every time I sailed last year because the water level in the lake was going down so fast and I didn't want to be put aground with no way to haul it out. It got to be a routine that I could get through in about an hour. That's an hour from backing down the ramp to motoring out of the harbor mouth. It also includes putting up the mast. It also takes 2 people to get it all done in that time, but I have done everything but the actual launch by myself. The only tricky part is to get the trailer deep enough to float the boat. I use a ~20 foot chain from my hitch to the trailer tongue. It's easy with the boat on the trailer, but when it is empty I have to let the trailer run down the ramp pretty fast so it will get to the end of the chain and be deep enough. I quess I ought to get a tongue extension to take care of that minor inconvenience. Three tries is the most it has ever taken me to get the trailer out there.
Anyway, you will learn alot by pulling the boat yourelf and save a bundle to boot.

rssailor

Trailer

Trailers are great for getting your boat out of the water and doing maintenance, but the best option for doing a bottom job is a boat stand. You will drop residue and other crap on your trailer and ruin the paint job or the galvinizing. I did this to my trailer, so now in the near future it is going to be sand blast and paint time. Also keep in mind that once you have a trailer, you need a tow vehicle and also you will have to add trailer maintenance to you list of things. So if you just want to haul out, do it at the boat yard. If you have other things besides the bottom and a place to store the boat and work on it free or inexspensive, trailer will be good. I have an Ericson 25+ that I have trailered and keep in the water for six plus years maybe seven and trailers are a lot of work. Don't get me wrong, I love my trailer and would not want to be with out it. Ryan

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
B.O.A.T.

my freind who works at West Marine told me before I bought my boat the B.O.A.T. stand for "Break Out Another Thousand". Now I believe him.

I am pretty sure I saw somewhere on this site that there are a group of E23 owners that have formed there own little group or club, and there are several pictures of E23 that have been hauled onto trailers.

I own an E26 and am in the Chula Vista Marina, so, welcome neighbor.

Bob in Va

Member III
-----------------------------7d430c9b8
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="iconid"

My trailering routine is not nearly so honed as Mr. Gann's, so I don't really look forward to the launching/pulling sequence with the E23, but it is a price I gladly pay to be able to bring the boat home in the off season (which is now - just digging out from 4" of snow). Some of the guys around here are able to paint their hulls by doing one side at a time: support one side with jacks, then remove trailer bunks or support posts on that side and prep and paint it, repeating the process on the other side. They cover the trailer with tarps or drop cloths to protect it. I wonder if several people with the same model boat couldn't share a single trailer, though insurance issues might shoot some holes in that idea.
Indeed, Jim, there is a loose but spirited association of E23 owners, and we appreciate finding new boats to add to our registry (over 40 boats so far). Please refer any you come across to me - I'm listed in the boat directory.
Bob Boe
E23 #312 "TigerEye"

Attachments

• september sail.jpg
    september sail.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 93

Bob in Va

Member III
Trailer Issues

My trailering routine is not nearly so honed as Mr. Gann's, so I don't really look forward to the launching/pulling sequence with the E23, but it is a price I gladly pay to be able to bring the boat home in the off season (which is now - just digging out from 4" of snow). Some of the guys around here are able to paint their hulls by doing one side at a time: support one side with jacks, then remove trailer bunks or support posts on that side and prep and paint it, repeating the process on the other side. They cover the trailer with tarps or drop cloths to protect it. I wonder if several people with the same model boat couldn't share a single trailer, though insurance issues might shoot some holes in that idea.
Indeed, Jim, there is a loose but spirited association of E23 owners, and we appreciate finding new boats to add to our registry (over 40 boats so far). Please refer any you come across to me - I'm listed in the boat directory.
Bob Boe
E23 #312 "TigerEye"