E23 Keelbolts

Sven

Seglare
I assume there must be keelbolts on the fixed keel E23. If there are, how can you inspect them with the sealed cabin sole over the bilge ?

I assume that the x-ray method is really expensive but don't understand how a real survey could be done without either tearing out the cabin sole or resorting to x-rays ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Internal ballast

Thanks Geoff,

I'd assumed there would still be some (in)visible bolts, but I'm sure you are right.

-Sven

macearth

Keel bolts

I know we are talking about different years 1968 mk1-1975 mk2 of boats but both kjenne's and mine have easy to get at keel bolts in the bilge. mk 1 model fixed keel.

mdgann

'76 E23
Sven,
Geoff is correct. There are no Keel bolts in your MK 2. Just be grateful that you also have a lead keel and not an Iron beast. I worked on a Catalina 25 with a fixed iron keel that was bolted on. It had run aground and cracked the fiberglass all around the keel stub at the joint. We had to grind out the cracks, jack up the keel, tighten the bolts and refiberglass the joint. Sounds simple, but was actually one of the worst jobs I've ever done. They seem to have really gotten the design of the 23 right. Have to be careful to keep the fiberglass shell on your keel repaired if you ground hard, to keep water out, but other than that. should be good to go. No maintenance!!! Anybody else ever have any problems with their encapsulated lead keel? MGann

mdgann

'76 E23
Sealed Sole?

Sven,
I just reread your first post and noticed you said your cabin sole is sealed over your bilge. Do you have an acces port in the middle of your cabin sole? I have a 4 inch clear screw in port there to give acces to the bilge. You look down right on top of the keel where they must have poured the lead in. It looks like they then fiberglassed over the top of the pour. It sounds solid when I tap on it down there. It is also where my pump out hose is attached to the lowest point in the bilge. I can see that there are definitely no bolts sticking up down there. MGann

Sven

Seglare
Re: Sealed Sole?

Originally posted by mdgann
Sven,
I just reread your first post and noticed you said your cabin sole is sealed over your bilge. Do you have an acces port in the middle of your cabin sole? I have a 4 inch clear screw in port there to give acces to the bilge. You look down right on top of the keel where they must have poured the lead in. It looks like they then fiberglassed over the top of the pour. It sounds solid when I tap on it down there. It is also where my pump out hose is attached to the lowest point in the bilge. I can see that there are definitely no bolts sticking up down there. MGann

There is a 9" square teak and holly access port just ahead of the mast support, but that is not at the lowest point in the bilge.

I'm sure that the ballast is indeed encapsulated without keel bolts and have stopped worrying about it :)

-Sven

mdgann

'76 E23
bilge access

Sven,
A previous owner must have put this round access port in the sole of my cabin. I have the square access hatch forward of the mast also, but would only see water there if I had taken on alot of water. Maybe you should look into putting your own port in.
M.Gann