E23-II Solar vent options

Tim C

Tim C
Hi all... I am looking to install a solar vent in the cabin roof. Has anyone any tidbits of advice on what to look for?

I've been looking at the $57 variety on ebay, 8 1/2", but they look like the panel is well below the top which means it would be in shade a lot of the time. I'm also considering putting a bilge blower with ducting and hooking it up to a bigger collector. Thanks, Tim

Monty Beed

Member I
Solar Vents

Do not waste your time with the cheap units on ebay. You'll be sorry. There is only one way to go in my book and that is Nicro Vent, A purpose built marine solar fan with battery back up. They come in 3" and 4" versions. I am installing 3 on my E35-2. There is a plastic version and a stainless version. They can be set up to suck or blow. Check them out!

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I bought the $100 (on sale) nicro vent. Battery/solar only version (no house connection.) It works... some of the time. Basically, in the winter time, there isn't enough sunlight to charge the battery enough to operate all day. Then it won't start again until you turn off the fan for a couple of days to charge up the battery. Also, apparently, the batteries don't last long. Mine appears to be dead at this point (two years.)

Also, I installed it in the foreword hatch, in the V-berth. It makes just enough noise that I can't sleep in there when it's on.

The next step is a fan that will run off the house batteries, and serious solar panels to keep the house batteries charged.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Plan B ?

I installed two Beckson vent-o-mates, over a decade ago. No fan motor noise or batteries to fail.
While they do require a little air movement over them to exhaust air, we found that they made a tremendous difference right from the first day.

Be sure to specify the model with the ss cover, as the sunlight will "brittle-ize" the cheaper plastic cover after about 5 years.
http://www.beckson.com/images/c-6rsat600.jpg

Loren

Attachments

• clutchstopperview.jpg
    clutchstopperview.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Please 'splain to a fellow from a dry climate the necessity of these vents. Mildew?

The foredeck dorade on my model produces a subtle air current which seems to be enough here.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Please 'splain to a fellow from a dry climate the necessity of these vents. Mildew?
The foredeck dorade on my model produces a subtle air current which seems to be enough here.

We have 80+ % humidity for much of the winter/spring wet season here and mildew and mold can grow/spread and become quite a problem.
Keeping the interior spaces both clean and dry is important.

I even have to scour out the black mold from the non skid deck areas every year. :mad:

Loren

Monty Beed

Member I
Hmmm

Sorry your unit makes noise, mine are virtually silent. They do make a hard wired version that should take care of you power issues if you have on board solar power or such. I live in the Pacific North West and I have been very happy. The batteries can and do ware out and if you run them dead you may have to recharge them from and external source to get them working again. But because they are sub-c size it can be hard to find a charger. I have never had to go that route but I do change out batteries every three years. :)

I bought the $100 (on sale) nicro vent. Battery/solar only version (no house connection.) It works... some of the time. Basically, in the winter time, there isn't enough sunlight to charge the battery enough to operate all day. Then it won't start again until you turn off the fan for a couple of days to charge up the battery. Also, apparently, the batteries don't last long. Mine appears to be dead at this point (two years.)

Also, I installed it in the foreword hatch, in the V-berth. It makes just enough noise that I can't sleep in there when it's on.

The next step is a fan that will run off the house batteries, and serious solar panels to keep the house batteries charged.

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
Passive Vents

I installed a Beckson Vent-O-mate on my Islander 26 on a mooring and the vent did a great job of keeping the condensation at bay. I had the plastic cover, and stepped on it after 1 year, and it smashed the grill mostly due to UV degradation. I don't have experience with the SS cover, and I always had clean unobstructed wind over the vent. I would pay the extra for the SS cover or use Nicro vents. Or use a combo of solar panels, extra batteries, and low draw 12v fans. Just make sure you have adequately sized inlet and outlet vents to allow the airflow in and out.

-Dean

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Nicro Vents

I installed a Beckson Vent-O-mate on my Islander 26 on a mooring and the vent did a great job of keeping the condensation at bay. I had the plastic cover, and stepped on it after 1 year, and it smashed the grill mostly due to UV degradation. I don't have experience with the SS cover, and I always had clean unobstructed wind over the vent. I would pay the extra for the SS cover or use Nicro vents. Or use a combo of solar panels, extra batteries, and low draw 12v fans. Just make sure you have adequately sized inlet and outlet vents to allow the airflow in and out.

-Dean

We installed two Nicro 4 inch vents about twenty five years ago and they work great in NH during the summer. Positive vent produces slight breeze for v berth sleeping. Negative vent keeps head smelling clean. Had to replace one about 5 years ago. It just died. Batteries last about three years. Use the c radio shack batteries (rechargeable) as replacements. I have had some noise issues too but adjusting the fan on the pin by pulling it in or out seems to fix the noise pretty well. Also installed the Nicro Teak Bezel and a screen when we did the installation and in mosquito areas it works great.