Brendan Prendergast

Hi all! I’m adding a galley to my E23 MKII and would love to see pictures of some E23 galleys. It would be great to get specific dimensions and location as well. I got plenty of questions. Where are the tank(s) located? Do you have a waste tank or just run it to the bilge ? Is that frowned upon? I don’t know! Any information is helpful! Thanks!
-Brendan

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Brendan,
Welcome to the forum. I added a storage/sink to the 1968 Ericson 23 mk1 (Coaster) that I used to have. The sides of the storage box flipped up to make some counter space. The sink was a stainless mixing bowl that I drilled a hole in the bottom to have a drain :). I can't remember exactly what I did with the drain but I'm pretty sure I ran it to one of the scupper through-hulls. galley1.JPG

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Hi Brendan,
Welcome to the forum. I added a storage/sink to the 1968 Ericson 23 mk1 (Coaster) that I used to have. The sides of the storage box flipped up to make some counter space. The sink was a stainless mixing bowl that I drilled a hole in the bottom to have a drain :). I can't remember exactly what I did with the drain but I'm pretty sure I ran it to one of the scupper through-hulls. View attachment 41676
Nice work!

Brendan Prendergast

Hi Brendan,
Welcome to the forum. I added a storage/sink to the 1968 Ericson 23 mk1 (Coaster) that I used to have. The sides of the storage box flipped up to make some counter space. The sink was a stainless mixing bowl that I drilled a hole in the bottom to have a drain :). I can't remember exactly what I did with the drain but I'm pretty sure I ran it to one of the scupper through-hulls. View attachment 41676
That's pretty neat. Is that the aft side of the port bulkhead? What kind of wood is that? That looks like a simple and reasonable design.

peaman

Sustaining Member
I can't remember exactly what I did with the drain but I'm pretty sure I ran it to one of the scupper through-hulls.
The galley drain on my 1987 32-3 goes straight down to a through-hull. The legality of that may vary by region, but everywhere I have sailed, "grey water" like showers and basins in head or galley can drain directly overboard.

As for galley stoves, compact butane stoves look like a good solution.

Brendan Prendergast

The galley drain on my 1987 32-3 goes straight down to a through-hull. The legality of that may vary by region, but everywhere I have sailed, "grey water" like showers and basins in head or galley can drain directly overboard.

As for galley stoves, compact butane stoves look like a good solution
I might be able to connect to a through hull. That would be an ideal situation.

Brendan Prendergast

We used the earlier version of this same little stove on our Ranger 20, for five years. Coffee, soup, stew.... anything like that and you would boil water for preparing freeze dried dinners.
Highly Recommend. :)

Hope you do not mind a semi-relevant small boat cruising comment...
That stove looks good! It's small but diverse and looks like it can get the job done. However, I think im looking for something a little more flat and stable. I like the little boat ideas though! It makes you get more creative and innovative.

klb67pgh

Member III
Our single burner butane stove has worked well, and canisters last longer than I expected. Sometimes I cook on the port counter. Sometimes on the cockpit floor while standing at the companionway. I could also move a cushion and use the settee bench. I opted to spend a bit more and get a nicer model with higher btus and double wind guard but it was still less than $50. We store it under the port settee when not in use. I have also taken the burner to the marina pavilion to cook when there is a gathering.

A prior owner had installed a 2 burner alcohol stove in the top of the port settee bench under the cushion. All that was left when I got the boat was the flat stainless lid/cover. But that could be an option for you.
20210617_064144.jpg

Brendan Prendergast

Our single burner butane stove has worked well, and canisters last longer than I expected. Sometimes I cook on the port counter. Sometimes on the cockpit floor while standing at the companionway. I could also move a cushion and use the settee bench. I opted to spend a bit more and get a nicer model with higher btus and double wind guard but it was still less than $50. We store it under the port settee when not in use. I have also taken the burner to the marina pavilion to cook when there is a gathering.

A prior owner had installed a 2 burner alcohol stove in the top of the port settee bench under the cushion. All that was left when I got the boat was the flat stainless lid/cover. But that could be an option for you.
View attachment 41677
Okay! Looks great. This is the kind of set up I'd like. Simple and removable when moving. I would like to add a sink. Someone please tell me why sinks are so expensive! The prices make me want to make my own out of a salad bowl.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When we cruised our Ranger 20, we carried a plastic dish pan for washing up. Of course we were younger and more adaptable to circumstances, as one might put it.
:)
An Ericson 23-2 would have been the lofty height of luxury in comparison !!

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
That's pretty neat. Is that the aft side of the port bulkhead? What kind of wood is that? That looks like a simple and reasonable design.
Yes that is the bulkhead. The Mk2 has a different bulkhead setup, right? I think the bulkhead was mahogany veneered plywood. The sink base is redwood.

Last edited:

rconehere

Member I
Hi Brendan,
Wow! That looks so clean!

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Mark, Your workmanship is always amazing. A mixing bowl for sink... great idea. It is a solid construction, looks nice, and probably had a lip for mounting. Nice.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hey Grant,
I was looking at stainless sinks and then saw the price of mixing bowls... ;-). I did use the lip to undermount it.