e23 boat stands.....

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
any advice on aquiring a set of boat stands for my e23? i need to remove from trailer, and get set for bottom striping / sanding / painting, etc...

boat lift - stand

I just went through the dilemia of figuring this out for my E25cb. If you search the archives, a good discripition of a E25 being off loaded with a part numbered stand, but I don't know how well this will translate for a E23, at least the methodology should work.
What I decided was a bit different as I don't like the idea of jacking the trailer a few off the air, as I've experienced some bad luck in the past with construction equipment being jacked up onto blocks in the past. I'm going to set up a overhead lift, and suspend the boat temporarly, then bracing with a cradle for stabiliy and safety.
I just purchased the lift this week after much researching. Here is what I decided on: http://www.boatlifts4less.com click on boat house lifts, then go to steel boat lifts and you can see the example of a lift on top of four posts, only I will cross brace the posts, and bolt down. - chris

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
yea, thanx Chris for the info.....i do just want a temp arrangement,
no need for me to own anything ... i need to keep up "my hunt" for
a yard or boat shop w/the right facilities here in northern colorado
...... i may have a guy w/equipment that may work ... we are discussing
monthly storage charges .... he told me i can work on the boat while
it sits on the trailer .... but ... i know in order to do a good job, while
having acess to the areas i will need access to .... i will need to get
the little 23 off the trailer and onto stands for at least a few weeks
this spring ....... :rolleyes:

Rob,
No, much cheaper to have the equipment. Crane is about 400.00 dollars an hour locally plus the 50 mile transportation fee. The convenience of adjusting so that I can re-adjust to do areas where the stands/cradle were, or to come back at the end of the season and work on seacocks, or remove keel. The trailer needs complete rebuilding, and the convenience of getting the bunkers and adjustments correct. The local boatyards are really focused on powerboats. This should give members of the local sailing club a real break. While the lift costs about 1500.00 dollars, my labor and the small structure needed don't add much to the cost. - chris

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Lift

:egrin: Chris- I think it's totally cool. Many a times, I wish I had one myself. If you are going to locate this in a permanate location, you should consider digging a hole to drop keels into. This will surely make deck work much easier. I know this isnt an issue with a E-25, but would make it better for your friends. I'm sure they will be coming out of the woodwork when they hear of this. Again Cool! Rob Hessenius:egrin:

Bob in Va

Member III
Another possibility

My brother-in-law lives just up the road from me and has a barn he built himself. He keeps his powerboat in there, but runs it out for a couple of weeks in the spring so I can hang my E23 from the posts/rafters for bottom painting and centerboard work. We run a loop of chain around each post (4) and pass straps under the boat, then winch it up slowly on each side til it hangs free of the trailer. Works real well, and once it is set up, it's a lot easier the next time. Can you find someone with a semi-vacant barn who wants to rent out the space for a while?

Bob,
I thought of this with a slight twist, since I don't know of an existing structure. Instead of a barn, four sturdy posts with cross bracing and concrete pier foundations. Girders meeting the two sides above. Then either hoisting up one corner at a time or jacking the trailer up, in two or three steps with concrete blocks as support, and lowering trailer. I opted for the commercial lift since it seemed effient and affordable. - chris