E 380 Sailing characteristics

rotorhead

Member II
How would you describe the sailing characteristics of the Ericson 38???
The ERI and PS versions were made with the same moulds, right???? Therefore,... they should be equivalent....

Thx..:rolleyes:
Ismael

stbdtack

Member III
There are differences in the boats. Someone else may know more specifics, but one model of the 38-200s had the engine moved further fwd/lower which should make for better motion and righting moments. I heard the PS boats had moved the rudder further aft ?? but I have never found out for sure....

Hull shape is the same. PS boats had a different grid which tied the shrouds to it and not the bulkheads. Maybe more rigid? Deep keel I believe is the same but shoal draft shapes look different between EY and PS boats. Phrf numbers are the same as far as I know. So maybe no measurable difference in performance.

I'm sure there are members who know the details better than i do:egrin:

rotorhead

Member II
OK let see if I can get some discussion going here. I crunched some number based on Nigel Calder's formulas on his CRUISING HANDBOOK. Based on her ballast to weight ratio (0.33), she should be not to tender, but not too stiff. Her waterline length to beam ratio (2.8) may indicate she is a bit beamy, probably due to her IOR origins. Her Displacement to length ratio (302) tells us she is a light to moderate displacement boat. Her limit of positive stability (120°) and capsize screening value of 1.79 tell us she is nominally suitable offshore work. Overall, the E380 should be a compromise between a heavy cruiser, and a light racer.
Any comments..??? experiences ???
Ismael

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
My thoughts here are just that so here goes. Love the boat. It has proven to be a good compromise between comfortable cruiser and performance oriented racer. I find the boat sails well in ligh tair which is important to me for the Chesapeake. I have the deep draft keel and really like how the boat goes to weather. Beause of it IOR roots it is not the greatest boat to handle off the breeze in 20kts and above. This in my mind is what removes this boat from my "Ideal" list of offshopre boats. Downwind in heavy air the boat requires 2 people to gybe, unless you are sailing with no main. I have found my boat easier to steer in these conditions under reefed main and no headsail. Boatspeed in 23-25kts TWS was 8.5-11kts surfing, 7.5-8.5kts average.

Upwind I find I am reefing the headsail (145%) pretty early to keep the boat on its feet. Probably start rolling in at around 10kts true. Not sure where I start reefing the main but probably around 18kts true. Granted I am sailing with jsut my wife. If I had a few guys to throw on the rail things might be different. Theres more but I'm at work and getting the evil eye for spending too muchtime on this site.:D

e38 owner

Member III
great boat

we have had the boat for twenty years and we have the deep keel
We sail the boat with two setups
When racing I use a 155 and the main with a chute. We sail mostly in light air and the boat does great. When it is blowing hard other boats can be faster on a reach compared to our rating but we have been very successful.

When in crusing mode I use a 120 and a full main. This combo is good in most conditions and we don't loose a lot of speed compared to the full race setup up above. In cruise mode due to the placment of the winches I can single hand the boat.

The 120 setup is also great when it blows even when broad reaching.
It it really starts to honk I'll pull down the main and sail on just the jib.
Although we currenlty sail the boat on a mountain lake. (5000 feet of elevation) The boat sails great until we hit the magic number of 30 knots of air. Above 30 you need to be prepared because the boat carries a lot of sail and the forces are quite large. Above 30 the main needs to be reefed and a small headsail seems to do the trick

We used to sail the boat in San diego. My wife and I would use a 100 and the main also a great setup because the boat can be tacked up the channel with ease and still sails very well. The boat has a huge J so the large headsail can be quite a handfull.

When racing I can carry the 155 and full main upto about 20 apparent when going to windward.

One the newport ensenda race 1 year we had the chute up and maintained speeds between 10 and 12 knots.

rotorhead

Member II
Ted,
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences. I haven't been able to really sail our boat, as we are doing some work on her. We bought her recently....She has a 125% Genoa, and fully battened main. Here, we have the trade winds, which are really strong on this time of the year (15-20 knots, sometimes going to the 30's). On her sea trials, she seemed a bit tender, under 10-12 knot winds. I really appreciate your insight; it will be very helpful as we get acquainted with her sailing characteristics.
Best regards.
Ismael

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Interesting to hear how far up you carry a full main E38 Owner. Tell us about your main. Full battened? Dacron or laminate? How much roach? What do you use in the way of vang and backstay adjuster for depowering or is it just traveller? I am really amazed you carry a full main and the 155 upwind to 20kts apparent. That must be around 14 or 15 true? I would think you would be on your ear unless you are talking about 10 linebackers on the rail.

What type of kite are you racing with? Whats your rating? Are you using roller furling with the 155?

Good thread here guys.