E-38 Stuffing box 1982

Dferr

Member II
Does anyone know what size packing goes in the stuffing box? The Boat is a 1982 E-38. Also, the coupling is so badly rusted I can't identify any of the bolts. It's pretty bad! This is going to be a real bear to replace. Maybe I'll just do what I did to my first boat. Cut the shaft, and start from new.

Thanks, Don

Shadowfax

Member III
Don't cut the shaft!

I did this a couple of years back on my '88 E34 and if I remember right I used 3/8 and 1/2 inch. I've since gone to a drip less system. It is not that critical as you will find, when you get it apart, that it is a tapered compression fitting and you'll see what size you need. Remember to stager the seams. I think you will also find that it is bronze fitting, so that is not rust you are seeing. Get out the WD 40, or something like it and start soaking the fittings. Also don't buy the cheap [$12] wrenches sold that are supposed to be used for the lock nuts. They are for work on sink drains and won't hold up if you need to use a little force. Pipe wrenches work and there are real wrenches made just for this work that are around $50. Whatever you do don't cut the shaft. If you are having serious trouble let the yard do it. You might want to look into some of the higher tech stuff out there while you are at it.

Where is your boat located?

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Agreed. Pipe wrenches should do the trick. Be careful not to chew up the fitting any more than necessary. Soak if for a day or two with PB Blaster if you can get some, WD40 at least. There are tricks to getting the engine coupling off of the shaft if you need to do that as well. Once the bolts holding the couplings together (engine and shaft) are out you take a deep walled socket that is just a little smaller than the OD of your shaft, and a piece of 1/4" thick steel with 2 holes spaced the same as the coupling bolts. Place the steel plate over the socket on top of the shaft. Put the bolts through the coupling and steel plate. Tighten the bolts evenly and use the steel plate to push the socket/shaft through the coupling.

Dferr

Member II
We didn't buy the boat yet, I'm just getting prepared for things I've seen so far. It will be surveyed, weather permitting, Friday the 13th. That's a good day! The boat is up in Oyster Bay, Long Island. If everthing goes good with the survey, we'll bring the boat home to Keyport yacht club, in Raitan Bay, NJ the following week. The shaft coupling is definitely rusted. The shaft is most likely bronze, but I believe the coupling must be cast Iron. I just don't know why it would rust so badly. My guess is, the dissimilar metals and the stuffing box leaking excessively, and getting sea water allover it for years.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I would be really surprised if your shaft was bronze. Most I have seen are either stainless or monel. The coupling at the engine end is carbon steel. They always rust because of ill attended stuffing boxes that leak and when the engine runs spray corrosive sea water all over the back of the engine. On the 38 the aluminum fuel tank is right there too getting sprayed. Do a search here and see how many 38 owners have had to replace their fuel tanks due to leaks...:boohoo: If you are surveying take a good look at that tank and be prepared to replace the stuffing box, cutlass, and possibly the shaft and couplings. I had to do all of these with the exception of the couplings. I was able with patience to get the coupling out and cleaned, milled true to a new shaft and reassembled with stainless bolts and a good coat of paint. This area on late 80's E-38's is a tough spot to work in and because of that they often get neglected until something really needs attention. After replacing/redoing all of that running gear you will need a good alignment once the boat is back in the water and has had a week to settle. Good luck with the boat and don't get discouraged the 38 is a really sweet ride.

Dferr

Member II
Back to my first question. Does anyone know what size packing goes in the stuffing box on a 1982 E-38?

John Butler

Member II
According to the document I have (Propeller Shaft Packing Gland Adjustment Instructions):
3/4" Shaft use 1/8" packing
1" Shaft use 3/16" packing

This document is in the Specs & Documents section of this website (under general documents).

I have a 1982 E-38. Great boat!

On my boat, the locking nut isn't quite square with the packing gland nut. I'm not sure why this is, but have been getting by with it that way. IAlso, I can only get 2 rings of packing into the packing gland nut, not the 3 suggested by the document.

John

Last edited: