E-38 Regatta?

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Okay so is that 3 boats then? Chris you in? What about the rest of you chesapeake 38 owners? We could expand to other classes as well if there are enough to warrant a start. I can probably get a friend with a powerboat who has some RC experience to run the start for us. Vince Benn are you out there?

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
I have to double check...

I have to confirm with the skipper, but I think that would be cool. I'm thinking a distance thing (or at least a square course or something), rather than cans?

Other thing is where-
Chris

John Butler

Member II
I agree with distance over cans with and overnight at the end. How about from off of Tolly Pt. (or Thomas Point if that's easier for Chris -- I assume wherever we started, you'd have to come up the day before) to St. Michaels (distance, but not a straight line). I think we could do a rabbit start and don't need a powerboat to start us (http://www.corinthian.org/Offshore ...cing Program.htm#Appendix C: THE RABBIT START). We can have a Chesapeake Bay Ericson Rendezvous in St. Michaels and anyone who wants to join in on the race is welcome.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Cool sounds like we have 4 boats then? Ted, Chris, John, and Vince. TP to St. Mikes would work fine for me, although I find Shaw bay just inside the Wye river a much nicer anchorage than St. Mikes. No shoreside amenities but less crowded and better protection. Chris since you would be coming up from Solomons is there another course/location you would prefer? Rabbit start is fine with me although if I got my buddy with the powerboat out he could also take some good pictures. Definately don't want to do cans, bottles maybe though...Do we have any other Ericsons interested? Maybe need to start a new thread to invite other classes?

vbenn

Member III
other 38's

I believe there is one additional 38 on Back Creek, near Jabins, and there are 2 38's at Annapolis Harbor Boat Yard. I'll be there next weekend and attempt to find out who the owners are.

Roger, if you're flying down, it might be an opportunity to look at my cushion covers if you're still interested.

Vince Benn

Roger Ware

Member III
E38 regatta

Vince, Ted, Chris, John:
I did hope to make it down for this (and would welcome an E38 ride if I did), but now I have my doubts, if I can make the date. I think a family vacation is going to get in the way.

Cheers, Roger

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
I believe we're in for sure. Course doesn't really matter to us, we'll be coming up on Friday to deliver the boat- then heading home on Sunday. I guess an Oxford (or Cambridge or something down that way) would make our ride home a little easier on Sun, but we're flexible. It depends on the weather, too-- 12-15 kts out of the N-NW= chute up, beer open, fun ride.

I've even got hot rod crew for it :devil:

Chris

Oh, and whilst I know it's a fun race- our club has a nice calculator for a good "non-spin" rating adjustment.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Oxford would work for me as well depending on conditions. I am going to just have my family on board as we are starting a week cruise then. Where would you suggest anchoring if we went to Oxford area. Don't forget I have that 6.5' keel...

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Check in the cruising guide for either Plaindealing Creek or Trippe Creek (just SE of Deepwater Pt.) to see if those would work. Nice spots, easy dinghy ride to town for dinner if you bring the fuel tank for your motor.

Our race crew are a couple we go cruising with pretty often. (I won't mention the part about us racing with them on their Antrim 27... shhhhhh:egrin: )

Lattitude 38 is a great restaurant within walking distance-- http://www.baltimoresun.com/travel/beaches/65561,0,622754.location?coll=bal-bayandbeach-utility

Chris

david henry

Member I
e-38 regatta

My 38-200 lives in Rock Hall. St. Michaels would be preferred. do you have a date firmed up?

Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
St. Mikes it is then. Chris I think you said you were okay with St. Mikes. Does anyone have any objections to Shaw bay as an anchorage? It is just inside the mouth of the Wye on your left before you get to St. Mikes. No shoreside amenities but a much nicer anchorage and better protected in my opinion. David we were looking at Saturday June 30th to do this. Does that work for you? If so we are up to 5 boats then! Do I hear 6?

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
getting closer

We're getting closer, I've got crew taking off work to get the boat to Naptown on that Friday- we're still up for this, right?
Chris

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I'm still in. Hopefully having my buddy with the power boat to take pics and run a start. As we get closer we can set some times and a VHF channel. How many boats do we have?

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I'm thinking Noon in the vacinity of Thomas Point? There is a green can just off the lighthouse. If I cant get my buddy with the powerboat to do RC for us and set a starting line we can use the line between TP and the green can. I'll look at the chart and we can pick a finish mark near the entrance to the Wye river. I'm thinking channel 65 for communications?