E-38 Bilge & Shower Pump

Ericsean

Member III
My 1980 E-38, # 3 has been modified from the original set up of a single diaphram pump to operate both the bilge & shower sump.

The PO installed a rule pump with float switch in the bilge. While it seems as though all the bilge chambers have common drain ports, the water from the shower sump doesn't get into the bilge section with the pump.

I had to use a hand pump to empty the shower sump into the bilge to pump it out.

I'm guessing the hoses may have gone bad & this is why he changed the original wet-up.

Any one come up with a different config? I know Ericson changed around 83 to 2 pumps.

WBurgner

Member III
Shower Sump Pump

My 1984 E381 has two remote pumps located in the cockpit locker. One is for the bilge and the other is for the shower sump. Each has its own sensor switch and fuse/selector switch. The sump water is isolated from the bilge.

Bill Burgner
E381 Totem
Bradenton, FL

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
My E38 came with two Rule 500 pumps and float switches. One in the bilge and the other in the shower sump. The shower sump unit didn't work very well as centrifugal pumps don't work well with hair wrapped up in them..... My wife has very long hair. I installed an inline shower pump from Jabsco/PAR. Its a diaphragm pump very much like a standard potable water pump and an inline strainer is included. Even though Jabsco/PAR states that a switch is not needed, the pump can be run dry without damage I opted to install an electronic bilge switch in the shower sump anyway. The pickup in the sump is a generic strainer-style live well fitting. The pump is cut into the hose and installed under the port settee on my boat. The setup works very well. Here is a link to the pump. RT

http://www.boatersworld.com/product...hwater-sanitation-systems;cishower-sink-parts

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Remote diaphragm pumps

My E38 was modified and has two remote pumps one each for the shower sump and main bilge. I like the setup. The shower pump is under the aft dinette seat and includes an in-line filter that has to be de-haired every couple dozen showers or so. The main bilge is an identical pump and has an inline filter also. It is under the galley sink. Both have override/test switches on a panel in the nav station and separate breaker switches on the DC panel.

The only problem I have had was with the shower pump. The spline that engages the belt came loose from the shaft and before I figured out what it was, it wore out the belt, and interrupted several showers (not a good thing when the admiral is in the shower).

I "think" the diaphragm pump eliminates the need for check valves - I don't know of any in my lines.

The shower sump and main bilge are isolated from each other on my boat.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
we have the aft head set-up... but otherwise it's very similar to Craig's set-up. They moved the shower pump into the top of the engine compartment for the aft head unit. then just clean the inline strainer once or twice per year.
FWIW- the separate shower "bilge" in these boats is a spectacular design... new boats you have to stand in your shower water in the head until you pump it straight overboard. Sort of like taking a shower in a bathtub that everyone has been missing the bowl in all day:rolleyes_d:
Chris

Shaggy

Member II
I totally agree, the separate shower bilge rocks!

My shower bilge has a Rule pump with auto sensing so it shuts off when the water is pumped out. No separate float switch required in that tiny space. (My boat has the forward head layout)

There is also a fused Rule toggle switch with "off", "auto" and "man" positions mounted above the counter in the head. Saw one like it in West Marine the other day.

I just replaced this pump and it seems to work fine in the "auto" position. No response in "man", but I suspect the P.O dorked up the wiring for this, just as he did everything else on my nice boat. It has been fun righting all the wrongs... Of course, I am fully capable of dorking things up on my own as well!:egrin:

I think I might try a tighter weave on the shower drain, as well as creating a screen basket around the pump inlet to defend against the hair.

The shower works great, but of course, I then discovered the dreaded shower pan leak that I need to caulk into extinction.

Good luck with your setup!

Shaggy

1986 E38
Reach for It...