E 38-200 Rubrail Replacement

oceandreams89

Member II
Hello,

I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but it is a long hunt for the answer through all the threads....

Does anyone know where the original aluminum solid rubrail for the late '80's boats can be found? I would like to keep the original, but it seems hard to find. I have seen the Taco replacement, and it is nice, but I like what is original on the boat better. Does anyone know of a source for these parts?

Thanks,
Todd

EGregerson

Member III
rub rail

I spent the last year looking for the original rubrail; looked at TACO and samples from rubtail.com; didn't care for any of them. Apparently you could buy the original rail from Pacific Seacraft until a year ago last September; then they removed Ericson products from their inventory. I finally went with a locally made rubrail, fabricated at the marina out of mahogany and stainless. It wasn't cheap, but it looks great. There is a thread on this site where a cruiser in Thailand did something similar but out of teak. I've wondered if the new owner of Pac Sea in NorthCarolina would resurrect the Ericson name and line, but maybe that's asking too much.

oceandreams89

Member II
Yup...seen them. Really wanted the original. I was not sure if PSC / Ericson made their own rubrails, or if they farmed out to another mfg who still makes it. I noticed them on sale at PSC last year on their website. Of course I did'nt need it then. I seriously doubt that Ericson made their own style. I would love to believe that someone out there knows who the actual MFG was for them. I would be blown away if they were unique to Ericsons. The boats are great, but they just don't seem to be that "custom". I would figure Hinckley or Little Harbor making such parts for their boats.....I could be wrong. I sure have been wrong many times before....

Thanks to anyone who might know or suggest good alternatives to the original.

Todd

oceandreams89

Member II
Did not see any metal rubrails on their website...only the rubber ones, and none of them looked like the profile for the 34 / 35 / 38 Ericsons. Thanks for the info though. Perhaps I'll give 'em a call anyway. They have to be somewhere.....

cawinter

Member III
Existing info

Geoff and I posted a number of messages about our rubrail replacements (Al rails) earlier in the year. You may just want to look at the archives. My rail has been in service for a year now and looks great!

jgarmin098

Member II
Now it's my turn to replace my aluminum rubrail, 1988 32-3. Is there any follow up on this thread especially regarding contact with Pacific Seacraft and the original source for Ericson aluminum rubrails.

I've looked at the rubrails.com site and do not find a match.

Help!

cawinter

Member III
search

We solved that problem a while back. Lots in the archives. TACO was the source and the results look great!