E 38-200 Boom Parts

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Went for a sail yesterday and noticed when putting the boat away that the sheaves in my boom were in pretty worn shape. The ones in the aft end of the boom I removed. I noticed on the outhaul car that there are some small wheels that I want to replace as well. Hoping that Kenyon can help with this stuff. Looks like my buddies at www.apsltd.com sell some nice replacement sheaves with imagine this BEARINGS!!!.

More disturbing though was what I found at the gooseneck end. There are 2 rows of sheaves there. The lower row has some jam cleats that I dont use because stuff is run aft. The sheaves here were tired plastic as well. The lower set of sheaves has several aluminum fingers, if you will, that run between the sheaves to keep the lines running on their sheave, I am guessing, and they also seem to support to some degree the stainless pin that holds the sheaves. Several of these fingers were broken. It doesnt look like one could get into this area to weld very easily and there is a degree of corrosion in there. This whole assembly appears to have been welded to the boom section. Has anyone had experience with goosneck and boom fittings from Kenyon? I called once for a price on a mast boot and they said they would get back to me and never did so I am not very impressed and am opting towards custom fabrication via a good friend who works for Madden Masts and Rigging here in Annapolis. I will try and get a picture up after this weekend.

stbdtack

Member III
boom parts..

Hey Ted,
I have 3 of the plastic sheaves in great shape if you want them. I replaced mine with roller bearing aluminum sheaves.
I got them from garhauer, not quite Harken quality but well made and lots cheaper. www.garhauer.com Go to the catalog and click on masthead sheaves. These were too wide to fit in my masthead so i went with the Harkens up there. ($$$$$)

The 9/16" wide ones fit in the boom fine. Not sure if we have the same boom?

Ben