E-36 propane tank storage

Ian Hay

Member I
I have a 1976 Ericson 36C and want to have two 20lb propane tanks on the boat. I am thinking about buying a premade fiberglass storage locker that holds the two tanks and putting it in the place of the teak cooler/console box in the cockpit. I would probably try to skin the outside with teak and rebuild part of the old box to hold the compass. The locker is about the same width as the present box, smaller in length and about 4 inches higher.
My question: Has anyone heard of this being done and what were the results?

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
nope!

Just read a very good article. I think it was in last month's issue of "SAIL" magazine about propane tank storage. It shows a picture of of what can happen if propane is stored in the cabin area of a boat. Not good. The article also had a lot of good information and ideas how how and where best to place propane tanks. You should check it out.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Have you considered how you will vent the locker? A correct
installation vents the locker overboard. I think you should
leave that nice cockpit table as a cooler/storage-that's what
it was designed for, and come up with a better solution.
My 2 cents worth.

Martin

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
My tank

My tank is inside the cabin and after reading the article in "SAIL", www.sailmagazine.com, I am now seriously persuing a new storage space. I need ideas on how and where best to do that also. I have an older E-26.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Finding space on a small boat for a propane locker is tough.
One possible solution would be hanging the bottles off the
pushpit on a bracket. We met some cruisers in Mexico who
had a very clean installation-running the hose inside the
stanchion, and then covered the whole thing with a nice canvas
cover. As much as I dislike junk hanging off the back of the boat,
I have to admit I may adopt this solution myself.

Martin

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
photos please

Martin, that idea sounds interesting to me. If you could gets some photos I would like to see how that is done.

Ian Hay

Member I
Thank you all for the replies. I am grateful that such a forum exists and that people are so actively participating in it.
As for my tanks I still have not decided what I am going to do. If I was to go ahead and do what I was saying I would drain the locker down into one of the scuppers. I have not yet got ahold of last month's SAIL magazine but I am very interested in what it had to say.
If anyone has some suggestions as to where I might put the tanks it would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Draining an LP storage locker into a cockpit scupper or any
below the waterline thru-hull is a no no. It must be vented
overboard above the waterline, away from any exhausts.
If a hose is used, it must slope continuously downward
without any loops that could trap water. If you are going
to build a locker, please do your research and do a safe
install.

Martin