E-35 Kicks Butt

windjunkee

Member III
I have the fortune (I think) of racing this year's Transpac on a Catalina 38. This past weekend the Transpac crew got together for our first race as a team in Southern California's "Border Run" race from Newport Beach to San Diego, around the Coronado Islands. Its a fun little coastal race of a measured distance of 91 nm.

About 3 hours into the race, my boat was close reaching in 15 knots. (it rates 111 phrf). To windward and slightly behind us was a beautiful Ericson 35 (PHRF 120). They raised the chute on this tight reach and accelerated away but also fell off the wind. We chose to stay our course hoping for more sustained winds overnight on the outside of the course bearing. As the Ericson sped away, I couldn't help but feel a sense of pride that this beautiful boat was kicking our ass on the Catalina. :egrin:

When we reached the docks, I ran into the crew from the Ericson. They finished nearly 2 HOURS ahead of us. You guys are awesome!

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
E 2-35 trivia

Quoting my dad here:

"The E 2-35 provided a turning point for Ericson. With a low introductory
price, they sold quickly and started to become a racing phenomenon.
As an example, in one particularly nasty Ensenada race, they came
in 1,2,3,4,5 in class, and 1,3,5 overall."

windjunkee

Member III
Mort,

The name of the boat is "Sea Maiden" out of SWYC in San Diego. The owner's name escapes me.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Sea Maiden

Jim:

The boat is owned by Carolyn Sherman, and raced with her daughter as first mate (or Maiden).

There was quite an article on her and the 35-3 back in 2004 or 2005 in Sail Magazine.

I have friends at SWYC that know her, and a few years back asked her if she would mind if I contacted her with any questions I might have.....I never quite got around to calling her, as most any question I might have had was answered on this forum.

I have the article, and if there is any interest I will be glad to scan it and send it on....

Regards

Mort

Leander

Member II
More on Sea Maiden

Hi Mort,

As a new 35-2 owner in San Diego (hull 228, 1972), I would be interested in reading the article and learning a bit more about my Ericson community here.

Leander

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Sea Maiden

Leander:

I just checked and it is a 4 page article in the March 2005 Sail Magazine. It will be a pretty large PDF File......give me an email address and I will try and get it to you....

Regards, and good luck with your new boat.....

windjunkee

Member III
Just in case anyone was interested, in the most recent Santa Barbara-King Harbor race held at the end of July, VOICE OF REASON recaptured the OVERALL PHRF title it has previously held in 2006.

Out of approximately 90 boats, VOR won its class (PHRF D), the PHRF division (Overall), and placed 3rd overall on corrected time including the ULDB and ORCA class boats. It was ALMOST a clean sweep.

On another note, I was watch captain, tactician and all-round jack of all trades on HASSLE, a Catalina 38 in this years' Transpac. We had an enjoyable sail, but finished dead last. Still, I got to sail past the buoy at Diamond Head so it was all worth it.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Sea Maiden Article

Jim and Leander:

I have scanned the article......3 folders.....total 1.28 MB

If you are interested get me an email address and I will attach same for you...

Regards