E-35-2 Polars

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Hi guys,

OK, US Sailing can supply 2 products for us. The cadillac product, at $275 for members, gives FULL polars at 1 or 2 degree wind angles and 2 knots wind speed increments, and gives optimal sail combo solutions for each point of sail. Also included is a package to upload onto Deckman, Nexus, Raymarine, B&G, etc., so you can have your target speeds on your instruments and on board PC. This is a bargain!

Or, for $100, you get a print out with Upwind and Downwind target speeds, VMG, wind angles(both AWA and TWA)-all at 5 knot increments from 0-25 knots (might be 2 knot increments-I was writing this down furiously).

These are the typical sheets you see taped to the cockpit/pedestal/cabin face to give a guide for upwind/downwind targets...It will really help with downwind gybing angles, or just optimal angles at various wind speeds, and for upwind, show you when it is better to foot or sail higher...

BUT this package gives no reaching info or sail size/combo info..

Either package is valuable, and if 2-3 of you go in together, it is a real bargain..

There are 3 boats in the database-Indian Summer, Providence, and Nantucket,

So when you call to place an order, just reference one of those 3.

Any questions, contact me directly.

Hope this helps.

BTW-My contact at US sailing is looking for line drawings (hull/keel/rudder) for the 35-III. Does anyone have this info? If so, please let me know.

Cheers:egrin:
S

Brisdon

Inactive Member
I'd be happy with the 100 dollar package. Lets see, if there were four of us, that would be 25.00 each!!! Any takers?

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I'd be happy with the 100 dollar package. Lets see, if there were four of us, that would be 25.00 each!!! Any takers?

Since it is something that would only need to be bought once, I would be tempted to go for the full shebang.

I assume this is copyrighted material, so it should not be put on the site here?

Gareth
Freyja E35 241 1972

Last edited:

Brisdon

Inactive Member
I'd be just fine with the 100.00 version. I don't have sofisticated navigation equipment that will let me download data. I'm most interested in the basic apparent wind polars for Jib, jib poled, spin. etc. As far as copyright issues go, I don't know the letter of the law. I know yacht clubs by data like this and make it available to their members under one purchase. Maybe we could just be honest with U.S. Sailing and tell them these are for all E35-2 owners in the organization to share, and see if they are ok with that. If everyone with an e35-2 is set on the deluxe package, I guess I could be talked into cooperating.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Seth, I have a set of line drawings for the 35-III. It is copywrited material from Bruce King though. US Sailing needs to contact them directly for copies.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Polars

Right,

We were talking about the 35-2, which has been measured under IOR and IMS, so US Sailing has the info available already. Are you sure there are no certificates for the 35-3? If not, yes, they can do a VPP with line drawings (I'm pretty sure they will need the "aproved" copies from BK as you say), but you may be able to get a local NA (Like Alan Andrews in SoCal) to do it based on what you have-just have to call around and ask..

Or, you can contact a local measurer and have the boat "wanded", which will produce the hull shape info-this is about 1K, and well worth it-then you have a true measurement.

Having accurate polars is huge if you race. Knowing your real target speeds and optimal angles is very enlightening..

Happy trails,
S

robjpowell

Member II
count me in

While I am not yet racing my E35-2 I hope that once the upgrades from the po's lack of upkeep are done we will be able to. In the meantime just for having something to strive towards when cruising I will still use the data. I would be happy to share in either the low or upper end costs if you are still looking for individuals.

Rob Powell
E35-2, 1976
Boston, MA

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I would be happy to share in either the low or upper end costs if you are still looking for individuals.

Rob Powell
E35-2, 1976
Boston, MA

I suggest we wait until the summer to see who else may join in - I have been hoping that the start of the season would bring more people out of the woodwork.

I learned to sail on the Charles River BTW, I also did a frostbiting season at Courageous. It was a while ago now, but I have some good memories of sailing in Boston.

Gareth
Freyja E35 241 1972

beachologist

Member I
Count me in.

I have a 35-2 #420 that I've been racing in the cruising class in the Tampa Bay area. We have been very successful. The name of our boat is "Calypso" and I'd been interested in chipping in or buying a set of those polars.

toddvtownsend

e-35-2 Polars again

I have hull #218 and would love to go in on the buy of polars, provided US Sailing understands its a group buy. If we have a group buy, I think we shoudl get the full package, since $275/5 is only $55 or so each.
Todd
Airborne
E35-II #218

steven

Sustaining Member
I'm in. Also for the full package. As long as group purchase is ok with seller.

--Steve

Alan Reeve

E 35-3 SD Polars

Hey guys. US Sailing now has the polars for the E 35-3 Shoal draft models. I got the new information due in part to this web site as they had drawing of the SD keel with measurements included. I hope that helps someone in the group.

Alan Reeve
s/v Sun-BB E35-3 SD:egrin:

toddvtownsend

E-35-2 Polars Whats Happening?

It sounds like we have enough interested E35 owners to get the polars. Who is a member of US Sailing and willing to take the $ from everyone and get the polars? I am ok with either tabular or pictorial.
Todd

Seth

Sustaining Partner
For the record

I was happy to provide the info, but since I am not a 35 owner you guys are own your own to contact each other and sort it out. Good idea about seeing who is a member-that would be the direct route, but you could all split a membership if nobody is..

Good luck!

S

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
A membership is $60, which would increase the cost from $275 to $335 - not an awful lot of difference.

I will go ahead and order it next week if nobody else is a member.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Brisdon

Inactive Member
Let me know how much you want me to put in for a copy of the polars, Hope there are a few of us to bring the cost down:)

robjpowell

Member II
splitting costs

I can't speak for others but I am still in. As soon as you know the per person price I'll have the check in the mail or deposit funds to a paypal account.
Rob

LarryBud

LarryBud
Polars for 35-2

I'm just catching this thread. The last post was August 11. Any action since then? Count me in to share the cost. I didn't see it spelled out for sure, but are we cleared on the copyright issue?

BTW, thanks for the good initiative and follow through.

Can I blame all my slow sailing in the past on not having polars?