E-33 Mainsheet upgrade

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
The following is an illustration of the mainsheet on my Olson 911. It's also the same system used on a Farr/Mumm 30 and other modern race boats.

I likethis system because it keeps the mainsheet length to a minimum and because the fine trim has enough throw (adjustemnt) to go from a beat to a reach.

Note that the block sizes shown are Harken Carbos.
View attachment 11867
Pokey,

Your design looks real fine (and you diagram is really helpful to visualize it), but after looking at it for a couple of days now, I have a question about it. In one contiguous system like your mainsheet, why would you use a 40 mm Block (max working load 970) and then use a 75 mm block (mwl 2426)? It seems like the 75 is so oversize for the system. The 40 will fail so much sooner that it isn't even close. I can understand that you want a bigger line for the gross control which then necessitates a somewhat larger block, but that difference in size seems extreme to me. Any comments on that disparity in size & strength?

Pokey

Member II
Pokey,

Your design looks real fine (and you diagram is really helpful to visualize it), but after looking at it for a couple of days now, I have a question about it. In one contiguous system like your mainsheet, why would you use a 40 mm Block (max working load 970) and then use a 75 mm block (mwl 2426)? It seems like the 75 is so oversize for the system. The 40 will fail so much sooner that it isn't even close. I can understand that you want a bigger line for the gross control which then necessitates a somewhat larger block, but that difference in size seems extreme to me. Any comments on that disparity in size & strength?

Kieth,

The size of the blocks relate to their position in the cascade system.

Note that the 75 mm block at the boom takes 100% the load when the boom lifts. The load at the fiddle is slightly less (75%) because the double block at the top of the fine trim takes 25%. That 25% is further divided in quarters by the three blocks on the cockpit sole. I think the center block holds 50% of the 25% and the other two blocks each hold 25% of the 25%.
If my math is correct (a highly suspect supposition), that's how you get to the 16:1 purchase at the fine trim.

That's not to say that the 57 mm blocks are rated at 75% of the 75 mm blocks and that the 40 mms rate 50% of the 57 mms. But I think they’re close enough.

By the way, I use twelve strand 3/8” Samson Apex for the gross and ¼” New England Ropes T100 for the fine trim. I love the Apex. This is the third boat I’ve rigged with an Apex mainsheet. Unfortunately, it’s not widely available because it’s been replaced in the product line by Control-DPX, which I’ve never seen.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Pokey,

Good explanation. Thanks!

A couple of further questions;

I have always found 1/4" line to be tough on the hands. How is it when the wind pipes up and you have sheet in that fine trim? With so much purchase, maybe it's not a big deal.

How do you avoid tripping over that block & line for the fine trim which is attached to the center floor of the cockpit? Is it all the way forward against the companion way?

Pokey

Member II
With 16:1 the 1/4" line is fine. in light to medium air, there's bearly any tension on the fine trim. In heavy air, the load is still very managable.

On my boat, the three blocks on the sole are just in front of the traveller so they don't really get in the way. It would be similar with a bridge deck mounted traveller, but they would be mounted just aft. Although you'd have to consider the angle when running.