E-32-200 Muffler

Brian K

Member III
Can anyone tell me where the muffler is located on my E-32-200 and what kind it is? I cannot find anything showing the exhaust system for my Ericson. BTW, it's got the Universal M25XP engine. I'd really like to see an overall diagram of the system also. THANKS!!!

newpbs

Member III
Under HW Tank

Brian,

You might recall that I rotated my HW tank this spring in order to access the connections better. I believe that I saw mine tucked away beneath the hot water tank. It is a difficult spot to get at. It is against the forward bulk head beneath the cockpit lazarette.

Are you still searching for the source of your burning smell on board?

Paul

Brian K

Member III
Hey Paul, yes I am. I was out on the boat about 10 days ago (I've just returned from delivering a 42' Kady Krogen trawler from Annapolis to Syracuse) and looked at the exhaust system trying to find the muffler. It must be really buried in there because I thought I had traced the exhaust from the engine back without seeing it. Guess I need to look again. It sure would be nice to have a drawing of the system.

Anyway, last time out on the boat I checked the hose clamps on the exhaust hose coming off the exhaust manifold and they were loose. I was excited thinking I had found the problem and it was a quick fix. But, unfortunately the loose clamps were not the source of the odor. I plan to bring up a 10' section of 5/8" hose to replace the raw water intake hose from the through hull to the water pump. Next step will be to purchase a speedseal cover for the H2O pump because I think that will assure me of a really good seal there, and of course I'll also closely inspect the impellor. If my H2O flow is still low then I guess after haul out I do a complete inspection of the heat exchanger. The only conclusion I have right now is the H2O flow is low causing the muffler and exhaust hose to heat up and give off the offending odor. I also want check the condition of the muffler and the clamps holding the hose on.

Thanks for the lead on the muffler location Paul.

Brian K

Member III
Paul, was back up to the boat this weekend and did a throuough search for the "muffler". There is nothing under the water heater! Could it possibly be under the floor of the lazarette? Or is the water lift off the manifold be all there is to the exhaust system?

Also, how hot should the exhaust hose be? Mine is too hot to hold on to.

Emerald

how much water are you getting out of your exhaust system? It should be a decent amount - not a trickle, but a either a more or less constant flow or alternating between not much and a then a big splash, but either way, it should be flowing. There isn't apt to be anything beyond the water lift muffler, and from the point of where the water is injected into the exhaust system, it should be cool enough to touch. In fact, I can touch my mixing elbow on the side that has the water injection into it. Beware that if you are not flowing enough water and touch that mixing elbow, you will get burned. So, try disconnecting the water hose that goes into the mixing elbow and see what type of flow you've got. If it flows well, and you reconnect and have minimal or no flow, then I'd be looking at the mixing elbow being possibly clogged. There are other things that could be going on, but this would be a reasonable start on narrowing it down.

Emerald

wouldn't be bad to have a heavy rag just to place over it to keep exhaust and possible soot from blowing out. This is one where I'd have someone crank the engine ready to shut it off on an instant while you were below watching everything. Don't wrap something like the rag around it as you don't want to start a fire - this is just something to hold in place for a few seconds of running while you determine if you're flowing water out of the water line.

cawinter

Member III
on the 34...

On the 34 the muffler is visible from the stbd lazarette if you crwl al lthe way in forward and look against the bulkhead all the way inboard. It is almost hidden behind the ''wall" and probably also obstructed by plumbing hoses etc. It is impossible to get to unless you are willing to do some serious work on the wall, holding tank etc. and are extremely nimble... I stayed away from mine (for now).

cawinter

Member III
BTW: Heat exchanger?

If the impeller is ok, my next guess (before going to the elbow) would be the heat exchanger. When I pulled mine apart a few months after I bought her, I found quite a few sizable impeller bits in there. No wonder we were always running hot! AFAIK, once you get into the cool part of the exhaust things pretty much find their way out or stay at the bottom of the water lift. Just my 2c.

Brian K

Member III
OK, thanks David. I think I'll find a suitable wood plug and stick it in (and hold it) while the engine runs for a few seconds.

Chris, the 32-200 is a mini 34 Mk III (I think) and the boats are very similar. That's right where Paul says he has a muffler. I've searched that area thrououghly and the only possible location where it may be is under the floor of the lazarette. The area under the H2O heater is open and I can clearly see the inboard forward walls of the lazarette. No muffler is visable. Others, here on the forum and sailors I know, say I probably do not have a muffler, just the water injected riser off the manifold. Also, it may be easier to perform the water test than removing the end of the heat exchanger. I think when I do remove the end of the HE I'll want to have a spare gasket and "O" ring on hand. Maybe I should order those items now so I'm ready for the next step if necessary. One other thing Chris, my engine does not seem to be overheating, but then again I've only been running it at about 2K RPM.

cawinter

Member III
I took the whole heat exchanger apart (after draining), took it to a radiator shop for hot tanking (few of those are left) and then repainted, got new gasket disks and screws and put the whole thing back together with new hoses. I hope such description is encouraging :egrin:
BTW, running around with the engine under water without the muffler seems rather obscure. I would doubt it, but I am not the expert on hydrodynamic pressures.

The area under the water heater is a nice little cubby. I had it open when I pulled everything apart. Small! My thinking was that your exhaust run would be out of its direct path IF the muffler was in there. My bet is still that it is somewhere by the wall way, maye behind in there... :egrin: When my holding tank was still in with all the hoses, I had a hard time even with a flash light to see it. BTW, one reason why I went for the RONCO dip tube on the rpalcement. (Not to change the topic).

Somebody said once that THAT general area (which includes TOm's favorite, the fuel hose) was what the assembly STARTED with.

GOOD LUCK!:egrin:

Emerald

OK, thanks David. I think I'll find a suitable wood plug and stick it in (and hold it) while the engine runs for a few seconds.

also, you probably already realize this, but make sure the hose is going into something like a bucket or jug so you don't shoot water all over the place, or you'll have a fine mess to clean up :rolleyes:

newpbs

Member III
Yes, under the lazarette floor

Brian,

Paul, was back up to the boat this weekend and did a throuough search for the "muffler". There is nothing under the water heater! Could it possibly be under the floor of the lazarette? Or is the water lift off the manifold be all there is to the exhaust system?
I did mean to convey that there seemed to be a muffler on my boat under the water heater and beneath the lazarette floor. It is tucked into the corner against the bulk head. I cannot confirm that it is a muffler, but I'm thinking that I saw exhaust hose in the same area.

Brian K

Member III
I can see this problem not being cured until after haulout, especially if I have to get at the muffler, if there is one. Pulling up the lazarette floor will be a major pain in the butt! My only reason for accessing the muffler is to check the hose clamps and overall condition of the muffler. I'll try the aforementioned tests first and hopefully won't have to get to the muffler. I'll be away from the boat this weekend but will spend Labor Day weekend there and do some testing then. Stay tuned for further reports! Thanks all.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Given the model and year of the boat in question, I would bet that there is a cylindrical reinforced plastic water-lift muffler, configured with both the goezinta and goesouta fittings on top,or the inlet on one side of the cylinder right at the top.

Loren

Last edited:

Brian K

Member III
I'm thinking this is like a bathroom project,,, you know,, just a small project that grows exponentially! The boat is on the hard and I completed my winterization yesterday. When I was all done I noticed some rusty sludge stuff that appeard to be coming from where the exhaust riser attaches to the rubber exhaust hose. On further inspection I found the rusty sludge leak starts near the top of the exhaust riser and is not coming from any connection. It seems to be coming from the riser pipe itself. I'm guesing it is nearly rusted through on the inside or has for some reason cracked, although it's difficult to actually see with a mirror. So I think I'll be replacing the exhaust riser. Any suggestions on a source for this piece. It doesn't look like any of the Catalina Direct exhaust risers will fit.