E 30-2 Window repairs

Evan001

Can anyone advise about E-30-2 windows? Mine are beginning to leak, but before I pull them I want to know as much as possible about replacing the stripping/gaskets. Thanks...Evan Koch

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Evan,
Are you referring to the opening port-lights or the fixed port-lights? Possibly the simplest/cheapest long term fix for the non-opening port-light is bolting plexi/laxan/polly on the outside of the hull. This is not a beautiful solution however. If your leaking issue is just in the bedding compound between the port-light and the boat then the solution is relatively straightforward, just remove and re-bed. Mine were leaking where the frame joint ends came together, which required some monkeying around. they could also be leaking between the glass and the metal frame I guess, in which case I have no ideas about repair. =[
If you mean the opening port-lights, I think some of the aforementioned solutions may apply. or check into replacing with new ones. I have heard good things about new found metals.
Good luck.

Evan001

Evan,
Are you referring to the opening port-lights or the fixed port-lights? Possibly the simplest/cheapest long term fix for the non-opening port-light is bolting plexi/laxan/polly on the outside of the hull. This is not a beautiful solution however. If your leaking issue is just in the bedding compound between the port-light and the boat then the solution is relatively straightforward, just remove and re-bed. Mine were leaking where the frame joint ends came together, which required some monkeying around. they could also be leaking between the glass and the metal frame I guess, in which case I have no ideas about repair. =[
If you mean the opening port-lights, I think some of the aforementioned solutions may apply. or check into replacing with new ones. I have heard good things about new found metals.
Good luck.

Thanks for this information. I am referring to all the ports, both functioning and non-functioning. They leak despite many years of caulking. I took them to a local glazer, who made the following suggestions:
1. obtain the custom gaskets that surround the windows if possible. The stripping can be purchased at almost any RV store. So I am wondering if any Ericson owners know if the gaskets are still manufactured.

2. Install post production gaskets.

3. Purchase new windows.

Any thoughts anyone?