E-29 leak in port settee

sequim salty

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 1970 E-29. After bottom painting, adding radar and numerous other repairs the boat is in the water and i am ready to fully enjoy her. As i was doing a thorough cleaning yesterday i noticed about 1/2 cup of water in the port settee right next to the stove and drawers. I sponged it up and went back today and there was probably 1/4 cup. We have not had rain the last few days. There is no water building up in the bilge and i went down under the port seat in the cockpit and can see no water there. I can not get to the area under the stove and sink. When the bottom was sanded and painted nothing was noticed. I am wondering what the next step might be. looking at the pic you can see that this looks like it has been going on for a while because the paint has come off there. I am wondering the wisdom of getting it dry and epoxying over it. from the inside. I have a epoxy through work that will bond even if wet and i could mostly dry this out and then seal it with epoxy. I am new at this and am seeking all your wisdom here. Thanks, doug in sequim

Attachments

• b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 42
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 41
  • b6.jpg
    b6.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 31
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Salt or fresh water? (taste it; ignore the sissies).

I can't quite visualize the leak from the photos, but it does look like there are wires or hoses coming down from above. They're often carriers of clinging water.

Don't seal anything from the inside until the forum figures out what's going on.

And congrats on all the work to the boat.

sequim salty

Thanks Christian,

My Christmas day task will be to taste it. The wires are coming from aft under the stove. The view is looking down. It almost feels as if rather than leaking down it is wicking up from the hull. Have a Merry Christmas. That book of yours is the reason i have this boat...and found this forum.... and for that i thank you.

doug

Last edited:

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Welcome to the forum Doug.

I have mystery water on my boat, too. I think I found where it was coming from but need more data points.

"That book of yours is the reason i have this boat...and found this forum.... and for that i thank you."-- Yeah, Christian has a way of doing that. My son sent me a youtube of Christian sailing somewhere and I noticed it was an Ericson. I didn't even know they were around anymore. A few months later an E27 and I met...and fell in love.

Jenkins

Member II
On my e29 the speed and depth transducers are in under the port settee - are yours there?

A little leak from one of those could be the culprit.

peter

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Dunno... Despite a plethora of the usual deck and port leaks, I think the lockers under the settees have always been bone dry in my boat. They don't seem to be in the pathway for any mystery waters from above. Unless water is running in along those wires and hoses from the next compartment. I'd check around through-hulls and all hoses, including galley hoses.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Hi Doug,

Congratulations on obtaining the 29. I would like to extend an invitation to visit our little Yacht Club in Port Angeles. We are a friendly little club that just happens to have several Ericsons in it and the Club owns an Ericson 29. We pull from the Port Angeles-Sequim area. On the first Friday of each month, we have a Burger and Brew. It features a Burger, Chips a brew and ice cream for $5.00. It's the best deal in town.

If you would like to spend a little time with some highly experienced sailors and have some good fun and a cheap evening you and your family are invited as my guests. Just about anything that can go wrong with a boat has been experienced by these people and they are just plain fun to be around. Start time is 1730.

:egrin:

sequim salty

thanks

Thanks all,

So i went down today and did some more snooping around. The water is mildly salty. I was able to check a few of the thru hull fittings and no leaks there. There was not much water there today. maybe a couple tablespoons. I think that i am going to keep a close eye on things and keep checking.. I bought the boat about 2 months ago for 8 k.. about 20 k later with a lot of electronics, pulled the mast to run lines and plumbing improvements and me just writing checks waiting for it to be completed i am anxious to just get out there on the water. With 3 inches of snow on the deck my wife and i sat below playing cards and watching our blood pressure drop. I think i need to use the boat as is for a while and enjoy it... this summer i know i am going to need to re-bed the portlights and at that time i think i will start the search again. so merry christmas everyone.. and thanks... i will keep you posted if and when i find the source.

Last edited:

JPS27

Member III
Is what your pictures show the storage locker under the settee? And that's the hose from the water tank? I used to get water in my E27 in the same area. There was no single fix that fixed the leak for me. But I"ve rebedded a lot of hardward ovder the past 4 years, and water in that locker has disappeared. I have found that when it's cold water has appeared out of nowhere. Thankfully, less so now that I've rebedded so much stuff. A "mildy saltly" taste could possible be misleading. There's no telling what flavors drips pick up if they travel far enough. my two cents!