E-28 Models

Starduff

Member II
From what I have read, there seem to be two E-28 models. Can someone tell me the difference between an E-28-2 and an E28+ ???

Starduff

Member II
E-28+ / E-28

I have been reading earlier threads. And I think I have part of my answer from an earlier discussion in 2003/2004.
From what I read, it seems the E-28+ was built from 1983 to 1985 and was a modified design of the E-30. Its' dimensions are 28'6" LOA and 10'6" Beam. It is a little tender, but still a strong boat and a good sailer.
The E-28 was a new design replacing the E-28+ in 1986. Its' dimensions are 28' LOA and 10' Beam.
Do I have that Right?
So, my follow up question is: What are the sailing characteristics of the E-28? (I am in the process of buying one.)
Where does the E-28-2 fit in. What is the difference from the other models? Or is there such a model? I have seen references to the E-28-2 in PHRF ratings (in LI,NY at least).
Richard

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Richard,

Welcome. If you go to the Specs & Documents link at the top of the page you will find some info on the E28+ and the E28. It takes a little navigating to get there.

Starduff

Member II
E-28+ / E-28

Mark,
Thanks for the info. However, the Specs and Docs don't really answer my questions about the differences between the models, sailing characteristics and if there is such a boat as the E-28-2.
I am hoping to find more detailed distinctions between the models.
Richard

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Not too different

These 2 models will be quite similar. They have a quite a lot of sail for the length and weight-making them good lght air performers (for cruisers), and somewhat tender as a result-this does not mean they are not suitable for windy conditions, but you will want to shorten sail sooner than you might with other makes and models to keep the boat moving well (you slow down and go sideways if you sail a boat in an overpowered condition), on its' feet and comfortable for passengers. I view this characteristic as a good thing, since it is much harder to make a heavy underpowered boat perform in light conditions than it is to keep a light, powered up boat goig in heavy conditions.

The boat will be at it's relative worst in breezy reaching conditions due to a shortish waterline and tender nature, but good all around in light-moderate on all points of sail. It will be sensitive to weight in the ends, so to the extent possible try and keep the heavy stuff near the center of gravity-this will reduce pitching in a seaway. This is actually true of almost all boats, but the 28's maybe more than others.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
S

Starduff

Member II
E-28+ / E-28

Seth,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have taken the leap and purchased a 1987 E-28. I will be sailing on the Hudson River most of the time. Winds are mostly light to moderate, so the E-28 should be in her ideal element. I know she can handle more because the previous owner sailed her repeatedly to places like Block Island, Martha's Vineyard and Maine. Ericson's well known quality construction is why I chose one.

Can you or anyone out there tell me is there such a thing as an E-28-2? I have seen it in at least the LI, NY PHRF Ratings. If so, what makes it a -2? Or is this an error?

Richard

Seth

Sustaining Partner
28's

Sorry for the dealy..IIRC, there is just the original 28+ which was derived from the 30+ hull tooling, and the later 28-a new mold with some very minor differences in LWL, Beam and others-they are extremely close to being the same boat, though. If I had to guess I would say the "new 28" was introduced simply because the mold for the 28+ was damaged or worn out, so a new mold was built with some minor evolutions.

I am not certain about this, but the boats are so close that this is my guess.

Enjoy!

S