E-28 mast wanted - advise needed

joe-fran

Member II
This is a real long shot but what the heck...

I was out sailing the last real nice day in early/mid October. (hey this is New England and an 80 degree day then is rare as hens teeth.

Sailing along, reefed main and partially furled genny in about 12 - 15 knots (it was 15-20 when I left the mooring 2 hours earlier).

Suddenly, an ear piercing boom and with no warning the mast is in the drink - broken right at the spreaders.

Three hours later, we get the mast in 2 pieces up on the deck and head home.

Insurance will total the boat or I can but it back. Sails are survived fine. Mast is shot, one stanchion bent up, the furler is shot and just some small damage to the toe rail where the mast landed.

The quote for a new mast exceeded the amount of insurance - hence a possible total

I am tempted to buy it back and find a similar mast and have it all rigged.

SO I am looking for a mast AND/OR some advice on re-rigging a slightly different mast.

EG: supposed I can only find a masthead 40 foot mast and the E-28 was a fractional rig???? What would you do?

I found a good 40 foot mast at the local marine boneyard. (masthead rig)

I need some advise

Joe

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I know it's on the wrong coast.... but I would first get a quote from Buzz at http://www.ballengerspars.com/

He has a great reputation and is likely familiar with your model of Ericson. Shipping might be a $ problem.

Still, it's a starting point.

Loren