E-28 mast advise needed (I posted this in for sale and wanted aslso)

joe-fran

Member II
This is a real long shot but what the heck...

I was out sailing the last real nice day in early/mid October. (hey this is New England and an 80 degree day then is rare as hens teeth.

Sailing along, reefed main and partially furled genny in about 12 - 15 knots (it was 15-20 when I left the mooring 2 hours earlier).

Suddenly, an ear piercing boom and with no warning the mast is in the drink - broken right at the spreaders.

Three hours later, we get the mast in 2 pieces up on the deck and head home.

Insurance will total the boat or I can but it back. Sails are survived fine. Mast is shot, one stanchion bent up, the furler is shot and just some small damage to the toe rail where the mast landed.

The quote for a new mast exceeded the amount of insurance - hence a possible total

I am tempted to buy it back and find a similar mast and have it all rigged.

SO I am looking for a mast AND/OR some advice on re-rigging a slightly different mast.

EG: supposed I can only find a masthead 40 foot mast and the E-28 was a fractional rig???? What would you do?

I found a good 40 foot mast at the local marine boneyard. (masthead rig)

I need some advise

Joe

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Mast fell

Sorry to hear about this. I am shocked that the insurance is telling you this. How much was the quote for a new rig and furler? It is hard to believe it is more than the insured value..........

You really do not want to fool around with another mast section-the shroud attachments will not be in the right place and you don't know what the specs are for the section-it could be too heavy or too light..You sails are built for the IJPE dimensions of your boat, so a different mast will create a lot of issues.

I would check with Ballenger Spars-they can build a new mast pretty reasonably and might be able to use a fair amount of your hardware-tell them your story and see what they say.

I would be curious to know how they valued the boat for a total and what the quote was for the new rig...

Cheers

joe-fran

Member II
mast quote

Kenyon/Rigrite is the source

$13,000 for mast/ boom/ shipping, all new standing rigging, new furler, labor,

When you add in the stanchion, tow rail repairs and the Sea tow bill, it came to more than the insured value.

PS

It was insured for what I paid for it

joe-fran

Member II
Good and bad ending

The final tally was this:

Insurance company totaled the boat

I Bought it back for short $'s

Started looking for a used mast.

A fellow EYO member had a mast for an E-28 and initially offered to sell it to me

He changed his mind and offered to buy my boat as is.

Offer accepted and the boat is in upstate NY now on Lake Champlain.

Win for him and win/loss for me.

Joe