E-27 Wheel Conversion

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
I'm considering converting my E-27 from tiller to wheel steering. Has anyone has any experience with this kind of project?

Finally

oh boy.

You're letting yourself in on one heck of a debate. I considered it, briefly, on a day where I had guests bobbing up and down out of the cabin for the whole trip. They invariably seemed to want access when I really needed the helm. So, I went to the edlon site and got the plans and some pricing. I also crewed on a friend's boat, that has a wheel. It had plus-es. I liked the view from further aft, and easier access to the cabin. It definitely felt as if I had better visibility all the way around.
But.
One of the reasons I fell in love with my boat was the spectacular feel I got from the tiller, and with all that nimbleness, the instant control. That was lacking with the wheel. I found myself watching the horizon to be sure of my heading all of the time, instead of relying on the feel of the water on the rudder. I know it didn't, but it really felt as though there was a lag in response.
Long story short, I decided to keep the tiller and ask my guests to wait a moment or two. However, there are some past threads that help to answer your question.
Good luck with it, either way!