E-27 Problem areas

fredbrillo

Hi everyone....Im looking to buy an E-27 and have an appointment to go look at the boat tomorrow....are there any common, known issues or problem areas that I should be looking for and avoid if I find them?

paul culver

Member III
I'll kick in the main one I looked out for when buying my E29, others will have more specific info for your boat. Make sure to walk on all of the deck areas up top and look for any signs of mushiness from water seeping into the balsa core.

--Paul

Jarod

Member III
Here are the issues I found with my boat well the important ones anyway:

1. Blisters...some boats will have them and have them bad if they were in southern waters ie: San Diego etc.(doesn't mean the end is imminent but may mean you have a very nasty job ahead of you unless you can pay the yard to do it)
2. Damage to bulkheads due to water intrusion via mast step, portlights or chainplates.
3. Depending on age the fuel tank may have had it. My e27 has an atomic in it and I had to replace the tank due to a leak...have a good sniff around.
5. Check the aft end of the keel for any indications of prior grounding...(not on my boat) but its an important spot to inspect for old dmgs due to the deep bilge in the keel. You will know what I mean when you look into the bilge, which I would as well. If the water tastes salty this may be an indication of stuffing box issues or thruhull/seacock issues if there is gate valves or ball valves they should likely be replaced (some camps say good quality ball valves are ok). If the water is fresh well then you have some rebedding to do.
6. As mentioned previous check the decks thoroughly especially if the boat comes from a damp climate such as the PNW. I had a bit of delam just aft of the cowling for the anchor locker.
7. NOTE: No keel bolts on this boats so no worries there.

These arent specific issues to the 27 just issues that are commonly found on older boats...hope they help.

Emerald

Check the mast at the spreader attachment points for dimples on the mast at the aft edge of the bracket. The original Kenyon spars had a cross shaped bracket that could (and often did after nearly 30 years) dimple the mast from aft pressure on the spreaders. This can be fixed by making a collar, which is what I did on my E27. Check here for more detail:

http://home.comcast.net/~ericson-yachts/dimple/dimple_repair.html

BTW, these are great "little" boats - good luck!

Dave Hussey

Member III
The E27 has an offset shaft to direct prop thrust to starboard, to neutralize prop torque from a right hand turning (clockwise) propellor. My E27 was repowered with a Volvo which has a left hand (counterclockwise) rotation, resulting in a very tedious helm.
The windows tend to leak if they have not been regasketed, (but you can buy the gasket material from one of the mambers of this forum). The starboard windows leak and run down into the space between the head liner and cockpit, and pools aft in the quarterberth. The port side windows run into the corner aft of the ice box, and will rot the bulkhead and counter top.
All in all, a great little yacht. She will sail a bit tender up to about 20 degrees heel, but she'll be firm over on her buttocks ;)

CWM

Chuck
>> The E27 has an offset shaft to direct prop thrust to starboard, to neutralize prop torque from a right hand turning (clockwise) propellor.Dave:My 1973 E27 did not have an offset prop shaft

fredbrillo

E27 design flaws

Thanks everyone...this was exactly what I was looking for....now I know that there are potential bulkhead issues....and leaky port lights, The boat Im looking at has a Yanmar diesel......I know the fuel tank was recently changed so that one is done.

obiwanrazzy

Member II
Keep in mind, you'll find similar issues in a Cal or Catalina of the same general size. In fact, probably on most tupperware boats from the '70s and '80s (leaks, core mush, delam, bulkeads rotted, blisters...). The sump in the rear of the keel is a somewhat of a unique thing; definately don't want to see grounding damage on the aft end of the keel.

All in all, I've found the Ericson to be a nice solid 27 footer. It's a great costal cruiser with all the usual joys and sorrows of an old fiberglass boat..

fredbrillo

E-27 Issues

Obi ...thanks for the input re: keel damage from groundings....unfortunately where I sail, thats a frequent happening...Biscayne Bay and the Florida Keys have lots of bumpy spots and over the years I think Ive found most of them....sailed a Dufour 34 for a number of years that drew 6'6".... found every coral head in south florida.

stuartm80127

Member II
Obi ...thanks for the input re: keel damage from groundings....unfortunately where I sail, thats a frequent happening...Biscayne Bay and the Florida Keys have lots of bumpy spots and over the years I think Ive found most of them....sailed a Dufour 34 for a number of years that drew 6'6".... found every coral head in south florida.

One of my projects this winter (boat in CO) is to fill the aft sump 40% of the way with concrete and then glass over with five alternating layers of roving and biaxial cloth and epoxy. That way if ground near bottom of aft keel there is no hole to sink boat.