E 27 Ice Box

Capt. Max

Member II
Has anyone had their icebox drain get plugged? Mine is plugged and I need
to gain access to the underside of the box. Cut a hole?
Any help would be great. Thanks

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Plugged Drain

Max- Have you tried to "snake" out the drain or even plunge the drain. I would try this before I started cutting holes. A fishing tape would work fine to "snake" the drain and hose.

Glyn Judson

Ice box drain.

Max, Rob's idea is great and might save all the time and labor of cutting into the ice box bulkhead but I might caution you that the clog could also involve debris, etc that's built up over time in a partial kink in the drain hose. This assumes that it's a vinyl hose like the ones on both Ericsons I have owned. How about compressed air as another option. Air horns and SCUBA tanks (thanks David of Emerald) come to mind. Nice and easy should be the operative word when you start snaking or trying to blow it out. Good luck and keep us posted, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Capt. Max

Member II
Well I have tried to use a wire snake,no dice. It must be something like hmmm, hard, it wont budge. I dont want to cut holes either.
Do you know where to find the other end, I have looked and dont see it.
I know they drain into the bilge. Maybe trying from the other side would do it.
Thanks so much for your help, Im kinda stuck on this one., Max

Try loading the drain line with some straight bleach, often it will clear in a few minutes. Once through it shouldn't hurt anything. If needed you can work the drain line with a small sink plunger, minus the handle, so you can get into the tight area. - Chris

Emerald

Do you have a bellows pump like you would use on an Avon or other similar inflatable? I've had good luck hooking a hand pump like this up to clogged lines. Keep firm but continued pressure on it gently increasing pressure and see if it doesn't push the blockage free.

Glyn Judson

The other end of the ice box drain.

Max, On our present boat the vinyl hose emerges from the ice box bulkhead and originally T'd into either the galley sink drain or the fresh water intake for that same sink. Too much time has passed since yanking all that joined plumbing down there including one of the cockpit scuppers that T'd to the sink drain too for me to remember exactly how it was originally. I can tell you that the ice box drain still emerges from a hole drilled into the 3/4" plywood bulkhead and I now have it leading straight to the bilge. I want to say that it was the same in our E25+ but that was just too many years ago to remember exactly. By the way, the layout in your E27, our former boat, the E25+ and our current boat an E31 are essentially all the same. This leads me to suspect that the drain in question was routed in a very similar manner with all three boats (You watch I'll be totally wrong, won't be the first time by a long shot). The bottom line is that there's a good chance that if you look again, you'll see the ice box drain emerging from the bulkhead that separates the ice box from the space under the galley sink. At worst you could use a 4" hole saw in that bulkhead to gain access to the drain which would allow you to trace the route of the hose at the same time. If doing so, take into consideration of the possible curvature of the hull there and the proximity of the box itself to the plywood to prevent possible serious damage. You could even add a plastic deck plate to the hole to give it a nice finished look. Please let us know how you progress, curious minds want to know, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

rod sanburn

Member II
E-27 Ice box drain

Capt'n,
The drain hose on my on my74' E-27 T's into the sink drain also. I can see mine if I remove the wood frame and door assembly. I can not see the end that attaches to the drain assembly. Mine still drains but slowly. I don't use the ice box much, even with block ice and stands to lift the ice up off the bottom etc., by the time I get enough blocks in there, the space is limited. I have 2 extreme coolers, the smaller vertical ones, I use with 1 block in each for food. Drinks go in a cockpit vertical cooler etc. Anyone out there with E-27 or larger re-insulate Ericson's ice box's. Rod

Capt. Max

Member II
Thanks all, its sure great to bounce ideas around like this.
I will try all of the above.,when I get back on the boat(we got a foot of snow yesterday) hopefully soon.
Thanks again. Max
SV Pipe Dream E27

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Take a toilet plunger with you when you go what ever got in come in through the port in the bottom of the box. Try collapsing the plunger, putting it over the hole and suctioning it out a few times. may not work but it is quick simple and much easier than surgery. Good luck, Edd

Glyn Judson

Unclogging your ice box drain.

Max, While reading this thread, another thought popped into my tiny brain. Consider pouring boiling water down the drain on the chance that it might soften the (organic) blockage and free up the hose. Alternately consider the boiling water in along with compressed air or the inflatable foot pump. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Glyn's advise can't hurt, but try suction first! You know the hole was big enough to get the blockage in so it should be big enough to come out. if you push it in farther it could just get stuck harder. If suction doesn't work the preferable end to put pressure in is the back side of the block. Also remember that the drain hole is a fitting with a hose on it, putting too much pressure on it either mechanically or with air will blow the hose off (it may not even have a clamp on it as it wasn't meant to ever have pressure)

Capt. Max

Member II
Well I went to the boat today. Not so good. I tried the plunger,no luck.
I didnt have compressed air but I cannot find the out end of the line. Its
like sealed in there , The hull is bonded to the bulkhead in the cabinet and no line comes out, the only thing I can find is the fresh water supply going to the sink. I looked and looked.
I have a theory, the previous owner took it out. This boat was raced and he
had it striped to the max. HMMMM I will keep investigating. :esad:

Glyn Judson

Missing drain line.

Max, Well this is getting stranger by the minute. If the previous owner removed it, there should be some sign of where it was removed from because to take it off, he'd had to have accessed the bottom of the ice box. That hose has to lead somewhere, have you checked forward of the galley and under the port settee (not likely but worth a try)? Failing that, it might be to the point where you'll want to consider putting a hole in the bulkhead in line with the location of the drain to see what you can find. Prior to the blockage did you experience the water level in the bilge raising from the ice melt? Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Capt. Max

Member II
pics

Went to the boat again today. I think the line from the drain is gone. I looked hard and took some pics .
I dont know how to upload them here, any help.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Drain

Max-
Am I understanding this right that there is no hose attached at the base of the drain? So is there a cap on the bottomside of the drain? Is that what is stoping the flow of the ice box?
Easy fix! Take off the cap and let it drain into the bilge.

Capt. Max

Member II
Well I finally fixed it. I gave up on the old drain and installed a new one,works
great now. Thanks to all who helped me out.
Boat is in the water now,still cold here.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Gave up on the old drain and installed a new one? That's it? no details? Did you use the existing port or install a new one? were did you run it? was it as big a deal as you thought? Don't just leave us hanging, share, we might just need to know someday.... Oh yeah, congrats!:egrin:

Capt. Max

Member II
Sorry all, I have been away from my computer.
I drilled a new hole in the bottom of box, Installed a sleave type fitting into hole, and now use a bilge plug to hold in the ice,water.
It went pretty good, and works great.
Thanks for all you help.