E 27 Halyards change

tom_Heidema

I have a 1975 e27 with wire to rope halyards i want to change them to all rope halyards. I am not sure if the ropes will fit or not. has anybody done this? And what if any thing do i have to change? Please help before i get into this project.

Thanks for the help

Tom and Sarah
e27 Bassackwards

Attachments

• mast.jpg
    mast.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 364

Nigel Barron

Notorious Iconoclast
Wire to rope

Not only will it work, you will get an improvement in performance. When I go down to the boat this weekend, I will check what diameter I have. It should be a pretty simple project and not require any modifications.

Nigel

Mitch

Member I
Hi there. I just replaced my wire to rope halyards with 3/8" Sta-set X. What a huge improvement. They are slick and required no changes to the existing sheaves at the masthead. Go for it - you'll love them!

-Mitch

Tom Prince

I am just going through the halyard change process on my 1973 E27.The wire on my main halyard has cut a groove in the mast where it exits above the deck....( Wondering if it has done the same to the anti compression tube that passes through the mast at the spreaders.) Really looking forward to all rope halyards. I'll be pulling the mast later this month and will let you know what kind of collateral damage I find from the wire.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
halyards

Just make sure you buy a low stretch line. The "regular" stuff will strecth too much under load-make sure you mention this to the saleperson at West MArine (or wherever you go).
Enjoy