E-27 Gooseneck fitting ID?

Annapolis E-27

Member III
Today on the Chesapeake Bay at about 16 knots wind at 6.2 knots under sail the gooseneck fitting where the bolt attaches to the end of the boom sheared off and the gooseneck fitting where the bolt went thru is now malformed. I do know that it is an Isomat mast that has replaced the original but the boom is questionable but looks like a Kenyon. Can anyone tell me from these pictures what brand of gooseneck and boom I am dealing with? Also, is this indicative of age or just a fluke. My E-27 also appears to have possibly the original Navtec turnbuckles from 1978. Should I be concerned?

Attachments

• P1010016.jpg
    P1010016.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 142
  • P1010019.jpg
    P1010019.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 110
  • P1010020.jpg
    P1010020.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 138

Kevin Johnston

Member III
Goose neck

I had a similar broken goose neck on my E27. It was Memorial Day weekend in Port Townsend, WA and if you had to be ship wrecked some where, it is pretty desirable to be there. Fortunately I was able to find a welder who could weld stainless steel to make the repair. The repair has provided many more years of service.
Good luck!

Dave Hussey

Member III
It looks like a stock original E27 boom and end cap casting. The stainless sheet metal is original as well, by the looks of it. I've replaced my E27 boom and gooseneck a year or so ago, and posted some pictures that you can compare to. I think you should be able to replace the bolt that goes through the boom end cap and straighten the sheet metal bracket sufficiently to reuse it. The end cap is only held in place by screws. A "nylock" nut will retain the bolt, or use a cotter pin and washer.
That could have been a very dangerous situation!!! Looks like you were very lucky.

Dave Hussey

Member III
...the title of the thread I mentioned was: "Old E27 gooseneck and boom".
By the way, the old screws that hold the end cap in place might not come out willingly, as others have noted in similar posts...
Good Luck

Annapolis E-27

Member III
Dave,

It does look like the same boom with a different attachment. I have taken my bag 'o parts to a local spar maker for a new stainless bracket with the proper pin. It turns out that the pin inside the boom was about twice the diameter of the end that fit into the stainless bracket. He will be making a mich beefeier piece as the replacement. As for the screws, thank goodness for friends (Emerald) with impact drivers. The screws came right out with having to cut the end off the boom.