E-27 Exhaust

Gregoryulrich

Member III
When I purchased Patriot last August, she came with an exhaust leak I knew I would need to eventually deal with. I replaced all of the cold section of the exhaust last winter and she immediately quieted down and the persistent wetness in the bilge all but dried up. I also added redundant second hose clamps which is overkill, I know being that it is well above the waterline. The exhaust smell has been getting progressively stronger so I pulled it last weekend.Wow. A whole 6" section literally crumbled into corn flakes. I think the only thing holding it together was the muffler wrap.

I purchased the 1 1/4" galvanized piping for the hot section and sent the muffler out to my local welder to have the welds checked out. He said that the welds have been weeping for some time but didn't recommend re-beading the welds because they could quickly develop cracks. I plan on using a marine JB weld product around the welds and following it up with muffler repair tape just to get me through this sailing season.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for this muffler? The Moyer site has the kettle-type water lift muffler and another which looks similar but is kind of backwards for this setup. Not sure if that will work.

IMG_2306.JPG

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Build it

Have your welder build one following the details in the 27 manual. If you can go the freight have him make kit out of stainless. Replace everything back to the manifold with stainless and never have to worry about it again.

aj vollmer

Member I
An alternative...

My E27 came with a M18 diesel that replaced the original Atomic 4. The PO that made the replacement had just used 1 1/4 inch galvanized pipe to connect the diesel to the original standpipe muffler. Unfortunately the muffler had long since rotted out and the subsequent owner just let the diesel exhaust vent into the boat. A huge mess and very dangerous.

Instead of trying to replicate the original, I just used off the shelf Vetus exhaust parts along with a piece from Moyer marine. The galvanized pipe gets connected to the part from Moyer that allows the cooling water injection before transitioning to the exhaust hose. A short length of exhaust hose goes to the Vetus waterlock which in turn connects to the hose that goes to the Gooseneck that links to the exhaust thru hull. Around $500 for the whole deal and the engine loves it.

Not sure if it would work for the Atomic 4 but can't see why it wouldn't. Might be worth considering.

E27Exhaust.jpg