e 27 curtain rods and curtains

marcusn

Member II
Just wondering if anyone has a source for replacing these items.
The 1975 e27 I just purchased has no curtains, and broken rods on all windows. It appears she's mainly been used for racing.

Thanks all,

mn

Kevin Johnston

Member III
Curtains

When I went to replace my curtains on my E27, I purchased a valiance type curtains at a department store. I used stainless steel or brass wire to hang them from (treading the wire through the top seam).

It would be easy to have a seamstress do this work from the fabric of your choosing. Here is a pic.

Attachments

• Evolution Curtains.jpg
    Evolution Curtains.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 411

Bud H.

Member II
Let me tell you my curtain story. Lots of time and money. We bought a 35-II from some friends at our marina and although they had pored tons of money into the boat on performance items (new sails, rigging etc.) they were not too interested in the creature comforts and the curtains were the originals from 1972. You can imagine that they were ugly and sun burned so bad that looking at them hard could make a piece fall off.
So one of the first things the wife wanted replaced were the curtains. The original curtain hangers where these little channels with tiny, tiny screws holding them to the fiberglass. Little buttons were sewn onto the curtains that slid in the channels. There was no way either of us was going to sit around and sew in a bunch of buttons into new curtains so we needed a new system. Bring out the W.M. catalog and let’s spend some money.
Well, they sell this “Snap track system”. You buy long pieces of track and separate guides (carriers) that snap over the track and attach to the curtains allowing you to slide them open and shut. When you add in the curtains we bought (since discontinued) we had over $200.00 into this project.
Everything comes via UPS and so it’s out to the boat to put up the new curtains. Wait a minute, how do I put up this track? It has screw holes in it so they must mean for you to screw it to the wall right? Do you have any idea how thin your cabin wall is above the windows? I can tell you, it’s thin. Don’t ask me how I know and please pretend you don’t notice that dab of silicon on the outside above the windows.
This obviously calls for some advanced engineering. I go to Home Depot and buy a length of wood molding 1” wide and about a half inch thick. Cut a piece long enough for the windows and then cut a bunch of little blocks about two inches long. I glue these blocks to the back of the long rail and spray paint everything white. The plan is I will use some 3M 5200 and glue the little blocks to the wall, and then I can screw the tracks to the wood. Hang the curtains, kick back and have a beer. I used a hot glue gun to hold the blocks while the 5200 set up and everything went according to plan.
Later that day I was modestly boasting about my brilliantly concocted solution to the devilishly complicated task of hanging new curtains to one of my sailing buddies when his brother in law (who of course didn’t even own a boat) turned to me and inquired as to why I had not just used two sided foam tape to stick the track to the bulkhead. Duh, dope slap up along side the head. A year later when my glued on wooden rail fell off, that’s just what I did.

Dave Hussey

Member III
hahaha...good story. If you happen to know the brand, what double sided tape did you use? I've never had good luck with the stuff myself. (maybe just poor prep on my part)

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
this was my solution

found colored 1/8 nylon cord at home depot [chose royal blue to match my E-35-2. put a decorative knot at the end of three strands. braided to suitable length. then put in another knot. after making cords for the top and bottoms, the cords were secured to the wall with copper 1/4" pipe straps and 1/2 #6 brass screws & washers also from the local hardware store. the curtains were made as an ordinary panel then to the back was sewn a ribbon that had 1/2 eye rings already attached. they were spaced @ 6", so we added another between them by hand. the ribbon is available at any fabric store. the cost of the entire project was under $75 and took less than a weekend of easy work. the project looks like it belongs in a boat, and the rings slide much easier than the old track system but still don't allow the curtains to open & shut with the boats motion. if anyone wants to try this trouble free solution, ill take pics, or whatever to help make it a success .:egrin:
Edd & Debi
EXODUSE35

PS that isn't a miss spell it is exodus E for Ericson 35 for length, now all i need to do is get the name properly on the boat lol.

marcusn

Member II
pics please!

What you described sounds great, but I have to admit is a little confusing when I try to draw the picture in my visually-based mind.

I'd love to see some detail pictures of how the 'rods' attach to the cabin wall, as well as some overall pictures of the finished curtains.

Thanks for the offer!
and, the post!

-Marcus
e27

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
here is some pics

The first is an end with the knot. the knot is called a tack knot. I found it in The marlinspike sailor by Harvey Garret Smith. As shown in the book [p.35] it is an end stopper for a three strand rope. I simply took three strands of nylon cord and taped them together far enough from the end to tie the knot, then began braiding the strands. Your wife, daughter, or anyone with long hair can help with how that is done. When there is enough braided length, tape off the cord so it doesn't unravel then cut with enough extra to make another knot. THREAD THE CURTAINS ONTO THE BRAIDED CORD!!!! Then tie a second tack knot. There will be three strands still exposed at the knot, but they will run back the direction of the braid so they can be put under the clamp and trimmed off flush when they exit the other side. In the main cabin I ran one line [top & bottom] the full length so that all three curtain panels are served by one pair. in addition to the clamps on the ends there is one between the two long windows and one half way between the small window up front and the large ones. On the thirty five 36" curtain panels will spread to span the entire cabin. On the single port windows in the head & v birth 18 " panels work well. Another thing that helps is to mount the first knot then stretch the cord to determine where exactly to tie the other as there is a fair amount of stretch, then close the panels to put the center clamps where they come together. the pic with my hand in it shows the ribon with the rings. the rings sewed in from the factory are too far apart to make the panels accordeon flat so take the time to sew in one between them. this cannot be done after the second knot is tied as the knot is bigger than the rings so the panels are permanently on the rod so to speak. i guess if i ever wash them i will need to do them all together...oh well navy blue doesn't show much dirt.... Hope this helps, you need more just ask Edd
Edd & Debi
exoduse35

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 87