E-26 Tiller Question

portland sailor

I'm looking at buying a 1987 E-26 and wondered if the original tiller is quite so long as the one on this boat - it basically takes up the entire cockpit, nearly up to the cabin, if I remember correctly.

Alternatively, does anyone have experience with using a shorter tiller?

Thanks for any help/information.

Robert Mann

Member I
My 1988 E26 has a tiller that is 45" long, has a vertical rise of 9" (wooden part, measured by putting it on the floor and measuring from the floor to the underside of the forward end) and is 2" x 2.25" at the point where is joins the rudder head.

Hope this helps

Bob Mann
Wind Warrior E26,'88

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
I have a 1967 E26 and just happen to have a photo of the lower portion of my tiller. I'm not sure of the exact dimensions but it does take up most of the cockpit. At times it seems as if it is almost in the way when working with the jib sheets.

Attachments

• tiller2a.jpg
    tiller2a.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 92

rssailor

Tiller

I own a 1979 Ericson 25+ and have replaced the tiller with one from west marine that is for a Catalina 27 I belive. It works well on my boat and is slightly shorter than the original tiller. Ryan

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Tillers

The main issue is that a shorter tiller will increase the force needed to steer, and especially when there is significant weather helm-it will be greater with a shorter tiller. I don't recall the original length, but I am guessing slightly shorter won't hurt much.
The 25+ and 26 are basically the same boat (but not the 60's vintage 26's).