hollymae3

New owner of a e 25 and on my last sail my starboard spreader snapped. Does anyone know what model of spreader to get. Also it looks like I need a bracket. I have replaced spreaders on my old O'day mariner and they were attached directly to the mast. Any help would be appreciated.

p.gazibara

Member III
I am not sure where you can find one, but I would look into replacing the port spreader while you were at it. I bet if you pulled the port spreader off, you could take it to a rigger or machine shop and see if they could make/source 2. They are either going to be symmetrical or mirrors of each other.

There are also boat wreckers that might have rigging parts laying around. That would be the cheapest and easiest option, but I am not sure where you would find one near you.

-P

tenders

Innocent Bystander
There were probably a couple of versions of E25 spreaders and brackets produced over the years, so a photo would be helpful.

My '69 32 has cast aluminum brackets that are presumably original and still in good shape, and wood spreaders made of Sitka spruce that have rotted and been replaced at least once, by me. The spreaders are actually a very simple wedge shape. I had a friend show me how to use a planer to turn the ugly slab of old-looking, expensive wood I was sold into a beautiful board of the correct thickness. I cut them out (two each of two different sizes) using a basic band saw and then touched up the edges with a router. A bunch of holes with a hand drill, some sealing epoxy and good paint, and I expect them to last at least another decade.

Off-the-shelf replacements for brackets and/or spreaders are worth looking into but a less-than-exact fit might end up cascading into a whole bunch of other parts that need to be replaced to maintain the correct geometry. (Although, with a single set of spreaders, perhaps this wouldn't be so bad...?) You could probably get a shop to weld you up a custom stainless of stainless or aluminum brackets that match your existing brackets and enable you to copy your existing spreaders (in wood or aluminum) and get back on the water more quickly and inexpensively.