E-25 Port Leaking.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Started with a nice roll of Butyl tape (purchased from Mainesail) to rebed the new fixed ports we installed. Ended up using Life-caulk. The butyl is great for other jobs though.

Life-caulk, the life of the rebedding party:0

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
Well, no oozing yet. Other than the first couple of tightenings. Then again, it hasn't been warm enough outside to melt butter since last September.

Christian, did you use the gray Bed-It stuff? I've heard of some of the other types if butyl oozing.

mark

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, from Maine Sail's compass Marine. I'm a big fan of his butyl, I just think there are many products and they all have specialized uses.

I bedded the new lenses of my big hatches with butyl, and it wasn't a great idea--every time you dog the hatch down, it compresses the lid and starts the butyl flowing again. I did three small opening Lewmar rebeds using butyl, and it was fine, aside from having to continue chasing excess. For the fixed lights in the cabin house, I switched to Life-Calk and just liked it better. As many have noticed, the holes Ericson cut for the ports are often not very neat, and sometime the bearing surfaces are minimal. Life-Calk fills the gaps like caulking, which butyl doesn't. (As a "backup" waterproofing factor I doubt this gap-filling has any substantive role at all, but it is the way the factory choose to do it.)

Butyl never seems to harden or dry out and is easy to keep on hand, unlike tubes of goo which can't be saved once opened. Makes it grand for things like cleats or anything pierced by bolts or screws, or anything that you might have to take apart. When my pedestal base broke in a remote location, and I was able to pry it off, repair it, and then rebed it using the same butyl.