E-25 hull shape

Jerry

Inactive Member
I've had my '74 E-25 for about 3 months or so and I'm very happy with it so far. Moving up from a Hunter 23 has made a lot of difference.

I do have a design question. On boats this size and smaller with centerboards or fixed keels, I've noticed that the hull aft of the keel has a gentle curve (almost flat in some models) whereas the E-25 has what I'll call a skeg like structure extending from the centerboard to the rudder. The questions are: 1. do other Ericson models of this era have the same structure and 2. is there an advantage compared to the other design?

Not earth shaking questions but they're like little bees buzzing around in my head.

Steve Swann

Member III
Mold-y Convenience

Jerry,

I have the same hull as you, but the area you describe is the location of where the inboard engine shaft comes out, AND, there is a cut-out for the propeller in here, too. I think it is just the way they were cast in the mold to accomodate either configuration. One of the real site guru's can probably tell you that I am mistaken and there is some other clever reason that escapes me. :confused:

It is also a bit of a safety feature that will protect the rudder if it is in the "up" position. (It scares me to think about hitting that rudder at full speed with it all the way down!)

Steve Swann
E25 c/b Seahorse

Bob in Va

Member III
Differences

The E25 centerboarder has a rounder shape than the E23 centerboarder. The latter has an abbreviated shoal keel that also contains the centerboard trunk. I suspect this is due in part to the already limited head room (4' 3") in the E23 cabin, as it allows the board to be carried somewhat lower and thus keeps the cabin sole reasonably low. I have sailed both boats, and can say the shoal-keeled E23 definitely handles better than the 25 if both boats have their boards up. In fact, unless the boat is hard on the wind, it is difficult to tell by feel alone whether the E23's board is up or down, and I sometimes leave it up on a reach when racing in order to gain the 0.2 to 0.4 kts the cleaner configuration gives. Of course it is necessary to allow for the added leeway, but this is one area where the difference in bottom shapes of the two boats might cause different sailing strategies.