E-23 Give away or keep?

WadeLovell

I put down a deposit on a 1975 E-23 that has been languishing at her mooring for over a year. Sails may have some life (two or three seasons of recreational use) based on their appearance and crispness. Standing rigging needs to be inspected. Running rigging needs to be replaced.

The first time I saw her she was rough but dry. Turns out she had recently been pumped out. When I went, outboard in hand, to motor her from Newport Beach to San Diego, the cabin was awash with two to three inches of water. After contemplating the options given the gear I was able to locate and that which I brought along, I left her where she was.

Is anyone familiar with this hull, #ERY23255M75F? I cannot find out much about her history.

Is there a member in the Newport Beach area who would be willing to help me assess what I would be facing were I to keep her instead of donating her to the first taker?

Thanks in advance,
Wade Lovell

858-578-7406

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I don't personally know the characteristics of the E-23, but I am aware they have a swing keel. I had a 22' boat with a swing keel and water was always a minor issue coming in through the pivot bolt as well as coming in where the cable comes through to the keel winch. Of course I would check all the through hull fittings. Here's a link to other E-23's on YachtWorld.com to compare to.

E23s currently at www.YachtWorld.com

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Wade,

Is the water fresh or salt? If fresh check the deck for soft spots if there are no soft spots it's probably ok. If salty it’s probably ok as the water would be coming up through the uncored hull (not much to rot). At a minimum sounds like some rebeding of hardware but you will be doing that at some point anyway. Something to check are the cockpit drains.

Mark
1968 E23

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
With the kind of neglect that this boat has probably experienced you have to expect that there will be many problem systems that need attention. I would doubt that a leaking through-hull or something will be the only problem you encounter on this boat. I'd be prepared for complete rebedding, possible deck repair, rewiring, etc, etc. Not to say it isn't worth it, but be aware that boats that have been ignored usually take a lot of refitting to get them back on top.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
NateHanson said:
With the kind of neglect that this boat has probably experienced you have to expect that there will be many problem systems that need attention. I would doubt that a leaking through-hull or something will be the only problem you encounter on this boat. I'd be prepared for complete rebedding, possible deck repair, rewiring, etc, etc. Not to say it isn't worth it, but be aware that boats that have been ignored usually take a lot of refitting to get them back on top.

That's equally true of neglected 34 foot Ericsons, also! :rolleyes:

The good news is that there is a LOT less utility-related "stuff" in a 23 foot boat, in the first place. FWIW the rebedding part of the restoration would very likely be needed on any boat of that vintage, no matter how nice the cosmetics.
Did you get any info on what version of keel it is? The pivot and lifting mechanism on all old swing keels needs maintenance on a regular basis, IMO. It's not a bad thing, but just the price you pay for trailerability.

Good luck,
Loren

WadeLovell

New dreamer picking boat up on Friday

Found another dreamer but one who owns a trailer that will accommodate this boat.

mdgann

'76 E23
E23 owner

I've owned my E23 fixed keel for about 5 years now and have found it very nearly bullet proof. With so few systems, not much to go wrong. It sat on a trailer for 4 years before I found her and cleaned her up. I've probably put $2000 into her now and love the boat. There is a monthly newsletter and many satisfied owners of these small Ericsons. I don't have any experience with the swing keel versions, but several people have rebuilt them with great success. Just a diamond in the rough.

mbond007

I'm the dreamer that bought this boat!!!

I trailered this beauty back from California to Texas. After doing a thorough inspection of her, the only thing that needed to be done was pressure wash her completely, and replace a couple of standing rigging cables and both hailyards. the electrical panel is ok, all the lighting works, and the water that was standing in the floorboard came from rainwater coming in the open hatch. I used a bailer to get the water out and she has been sitting in a slip all week without as much as a drop in the floor. I am really excited to see how she sails in a couple of weeks (still getting all the latex paint off of the mahogony inside the berth). This 23 is a fixed keel and it took alot of work getting her on a trailer. I am writing this to give everyone a heads up as to what has happened to this boat since the original posting.