E 23-1 Rudder head question

golfdug

Hello All,
I need to pull the rudder head off my E23-1 to have some work done on it (a tiller ear broke off). My question and BIG concern is, will I loose my rudder and shaft to the bottom when I pull the head? I would assume that there are pins to keep it from dropping out but I've made wrong assumptions before.:mad: Can someone please help me rest easy on this project?
Thanks,
Doug

Emerald

I've not been hands on an E-23, but I would assume that it will go to the bottom. Do you have room to put several large hose clamps around the post? Also, can you pull the head and put the original fasteners (or longer ones) back in to make sure it can't exit on you?

golfdug

Thanks David

I really wasn't sure but from what I've read now I'd better be safe than sorry. I thought perhaps I'd drop a "sling" down either side and tie it up in place. Really would like avoid a very cold swim in Puget Sound.

frick

Member III
The Rudder on the E29

I really wasn't sure but from what I've read now I'd better be safe than sorry. I thought perhaps I'd drop a "sling" down either side and tie it up in place. Really would like avoid a very cold swim in Puget Sound.

The Rudder on the 1971 E29 would slide right out. I was working on it once on land, and pulled the rudder head and wham... I hit the tarmac. A little marine-tex fixed the ding, but there after I always take the precaution that it will slide down.

Rick+