dropleaf table on E25

Kringe

Bobby G..junior Pirate
Can anyone show pictures of their dropleaf table or have plans on how to construct a new one? I simply do not have a table on the interior of my boat and would like to have one of the fold up types. Would it be fairly easy to construct one?

Gmilburn

Member III
Table pic and dimensions

While my table is for an E29--perhaps some parts of this pic and dimensions might spon some ideas for your E25.

Underneath there are two slide brackets to support the fold up half of the table if desired and there is a fold down pedistal to support the end away from the bulkhead. (sorry I'm traveling and can't take pics of the backside right now).

I have my table out--as I am planning on recovering the top with the Plasteak or NuTeak Teak and Holly product over the winter. Anyone have any experience with either of these two products?

Anyway--maybe there is something here that might help you. Good Luck.

Attachments

• table cc.jpg
    table cc.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Cockpit Table Dimensions.pdf
    71.2 KB · Views: 56

Glyn Judson

Drop leaf table.

Bobby and all, I think you really are asking for a fold up table that stows on the bulkhead and if so, I can't be of any help other than to pass on measurements from mine in our E31, probably too long and too wide but basically the design you are looking for. Please contact me back channel for details if desired. On another related note, I was talking with another E31 owner several evenings ago located in the PNW and he wants to find a home for his double drop leaf, fixed mahogany cabin table. This is the style that has stowage in the center section accessed from lift-out lids. Again, if interested, please contact me back channel and I'll put you in touch with him. Please, please, please do this for the right reason; that you need such a table for yourself and not for the purpose of getting it only to sell it for a cheaply gotten few bucks profit. Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Blue Chip

Member III
counter space

Speaking of tables, this might be a good place to slip in a quick note on a table we instaled to help with the lack of "counter space" on our 32-200. If I had to do it over, I think I would have made it deeper...as deep as the counter top. It could go all the way to the nav station if necessary, but we opted to be able to walk around it.
Could be a fun "end of winter" project.

Attachments

• table 008.jpg
    table 008.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 64
  • table 005.jpg
    table 005.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 54
  • table 003.jpg
    table 003.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 60
  • table 004.jpg
    table 004.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 62
  • table 006.jpg
    table 006.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 55

Blue Chip

Member III
ooops

Scratch that...I forgot I DID make it wider, and yes I forgot to snap a picture of it closed...it really does hang down and is held in place by a gate hook. (Hell getting old)

Glyn Judson

Counter extension.

We have a laminated teak and holly fold up extension affixed to the forward side of our galley island and on the face of it that's no big revelation but for the fact that it is the last one Ericson made. It's kind of cool for that matter. How do I know it was the last table Ericson made? In 1990 when the auctioneers liquidated the inventor at the Ericson factory, Doc Freeman's (Seattle) bought all the salable teak including several of these table extensions and my call to them looking for just this piece was timed such that Dick Whistler (remember him folks?) sold it to me for the princely sum of $20.00 plus shipping. I first fitted it to our E25+ and took it with me to our E31. End of exciting story. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A question for Blue Chip, if I may.
How do you like (use) that factory ss grab rail? I have been thinking of fitting some to the galley part of our boat. I have seen similar grab rails on C&C's for decades and it looks like it would add some safety in a sea way.
Back on topic, your table looks very useful -- and more counter space is always welcome on a boat.
:cool:

Regards,
Loren

ps: My oh my do I miss the old Doc Freemans!

Last edited:

davisr

Member III
The main salon table that conveyed with my E25 is, as far as I can tell, original to the boat. I must say that, although it is quite big, it is not very practical. It does indeed fold into a more compact size. It does not, however, fold up flat against the bulkhead into a stowed position. This is because it does not have hinges that connect it to the bulkhead. It instead has metal plates that fit into brackets on the bulkhead. Therefore, the only option in terms of stowing it away is to place it in the V-Berth.

To address this stowage issue I plan to construct a new table - one that can fold up flat against the bulkhead. The first attached picture shows my existing table. The next three pictures show bulkhead fold-up tables that are common on the O'Day25. I will probably use the O'Day type design as basis for my own design. The last picture shows someone else's E25 with what appears to be a custom table. This one is really nice, but it appears to be a little to small for my purposes. I can't remember if I found this E25 picture on the Forum or on Google Images. I have a file with idea pictures from various sources. If this image is from a fellow Forum member, I give you my thanks. Cool table.

Best,
Roscoe

Attachments

• DropTable008.jpg
    DropTable008.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 63
  • DropTable001.jpg
    DropTable001.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 56
  • DropTable002.jpg
    DropTable002.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 62
  • DropTable006.jpg
    DropTable006.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DropTable007.jpg
    DropTable007.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 65

davisr

Member III
I didn't upload the picture of the other E25 table. Here it is. It is interesting to note as well how this E25 owner also modified his port bulkhead so as to expose the counter above his hanging locker. Usually the bulkhead covers this area.

Attachments

• E25modifiedinterior.jpg
    E25modifiedinterior.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 215

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I didn't upload the picture of the other E25 table. Here it is. It is interesting to note as well how this E25 owner also modified his port bulkhead so as to expose the counter above his hanging locker. Usually the bulkhead covers this area.

Purpose of the vertical component of that plywood bulkhead is to carry some the rigging load straight down. Looks weakened now. If the opening needs to be maintained for an esthetic reason, I would have definitely carry the load from the ss strap down to the lower section via a polished strap or tube.
FWIW, I do like the more open look -- just not the reduction in strength.

Loren

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I replaced the factory folding table in my E27 with a table that I made that more resembles a Catalina 27 table. It does not fold against the bulkhead but it does drop down and makes a large athwartships berth. You can see some photos of it the Community section under Lotus Flower.

SurabyaKid

Member III
The design of the table on my E26 is like the attached pictures. (From a sister ship "Nunki") The legs for both sides are sandwiched between the sides when in the folded up position.

Cabin-TableUp.jpg

Cabin-TableDown.jpg

Pat

Last edited:

wolly bugger

Member II
E25 folding table

Hi Roscoe, I do have a similar table to yours in my E25. Once folded up it does fit perfectly against the bulkhead between the compression post and starboard settee. There is a hook to hold the top and piece of wood on the cabin floor to keep it in place. I can try to take some pictures for you later, if you are interested. That setup has been working well for us.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Gmilburn...
I re-finished my tables and counter tops using wood veneerer's. they are easy to work with and the different woods can be used to create an artistic and personal design. They can be cut with a razor knife and taped together on the face side, until a complete sheet is formed. then the whole sheet is contact cemented to the top and then sealed with an epoxy like is used for decoupage. The weight is negligible and added thickness is only about an 1/8 ". The only tricky part of the whole job was that the epoxy is slow curing (24 hours) and must remain flat the whole time... easy for the table as it comes off the boat, but the countertops... anyway will try to post pics , hope this gives you some ideas. Edd

davisr

Member III
Surabyakid . . . the table in that photo looks nice. In fact, the whole interior is very impressive.

Stephan . . . that would be cool if you could take a few pictures of the table setup on your E25. I'm guessing that a previous owner built that as a custom addition. That's not an original is it? I'm pretty sure that the one I have is original, since the originial paperwork shows that the first owner paid extra for this (among other things).

SurabyaKid

Member III
Unfortunately that interior is not mine...I used the pictures from Nunki as they illustrated the fold down table better than the pictures I had readily available of my boat.

My boat interior looks like this:

DSCF0093.jpg

Pat

Glyn Judson

Drop leaf table.

Stuart, Er, a......pretty sure you're looking at teak in that E26. Actually I know it's teak. If the E31 changeover from mahogany to teak is indicative of when Ericson did so with the rest of the fleet, it all started in 1978. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

wolly bugger

Member II
E25 table

Roscoe, here is a couple shot I took this afternoon. It look original to me, like everything else in the boat but who knows.

Attachments

• IMG_4393.jpg
    IMG_4393.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4392.jpg
    IMG_4392.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 64