Droopy Boom and E29 Tall

Gmilburn

Member III
In this months Good Ol Boat--there was an article comparing a E35 with a Mistral 33 and Seafarer 34. In the article it makes reference to the E35 having a "droopy boom" by design, but that it was soon changed. There is both the comment in the text of that article, but it also shows the side line drawing of the three boats, where it is plain to see the boom which is NOT parallel to the waterline. My question is why was it designed that way?

My second question is about my E29 Tall, which seems to also have such a droopy boom. I bought a used sail for it and it doesnt fit exactly right due to the droop. My choices is to have the sail recut or to try to move the boom down the mast so that it is parallel to the waterline and will probably fit the sail better.

I have attached a scan of the article.

Your comments and suggestions (particularly about my E29 main sail plight) would be greatly appreciated. To recut the sail or lower the boom!

View attachment droopy boom 2.pdf

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I believe that under the IOR MK 1, you picked up a little unrated sail area with the droopy boom.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
My original main had bolt rope shrinkage causing the boom to sag and the sail to be full and have poor shape. I cut the stitching in the bolt rope and mlked the sail down and regained 4" in the foot and 6" in the luff causing the sail to measure to original specs. I sold the old sail and replaced it with a new sail.