Dripless shaft seal question

Mikeshield

Member I
I have an e30+ with a dripless shaft seal. It has been dry since ive had the boat but today as i was changing the transmission fluid in the gear box i slipped and banged my hand pretty hard on the shaft seal. To my horror water started gushing in the boat !. I repositioned the shaft seal which flexes and the leak stopped ....thank god!Ive started the engine and put it in gear and no problem. My question is is the shaft seal supposed to flex and do this if knocked out of alignment ?Thanks for any input.Mike.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Yes, I have one too, and as I understand it, there are two metal surfaces ground very finely to sit right against each other which makes for the seal to keep water out. The two surfaces are held in place by the spring tension in the rubber piece. If you knock it you can dislodge the seal and a gush of water will enter, but it should re-seal immediately.

In fact, if the boat has been out of the water for any reason, the manufacturer recommends that you pull back on the metal piece to let a bit of water in to ensure there is no air locked in the PSS. I also do it periodically to flush the two metal surfaces to wash away any slight grinding that could occur.

So if that's all you did, I think it's all ok. If I misunderstood the issue, please post again.

Frank