Dripless Shaft Seal/E30+

tilwinter

Member III
Has anyone replaced the stuffing box on an E30+ with a "dripless shaft seal", PSS or otherwise?

I have been planning to have this done as soon as I have the boat hauled for the winter. There was one on my previous boat, and I really liked it.

In talking to a neighbor with a Tartan 31, he said he was going todo the same thing, but he heard from other owners of the same boat, that the conversion was not good because of the angle of the shaft, or something akin to this, and he decided not to do the switch.

So, any real world experience with this conversion in this particular model would be appreciated

Chip Lohman

I installed a PSS dripless 2 years ago on a 1986 32 and have been happy with it. In rough weather once, air got into it and it began shreaking eventually due to heating-up. I put a glove on, "burped" it while underway and all was well. I can provide installation details and experience if you're interested.
Whispering Swan, Quantico VA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you click on the Search icon, upper right part of screen, and type in PSS seal, you will find some good commentary in the archives.

Loren

tilwinter

Member III
Thanks for your comments.

I got a response on the Sailnet site from someone who had put a PSS seal on an E 30+, so I am comfortable with this plan and will have it done this winter.

:egrin: