Dorade's

Kim Schoedel

Member III
The forward dorade's (these are the 2 just forward of the mast with an open box in between them). I was scrubing out the box while doing a good wash down and noticed that the water inside was NOT draining out. I can see two small drain holes at deck level on the aft side of the box and 1 hole on each end (port and starboard) at deck level. Took a piece of wire to a couple of the drain holes from the outside in and expected the wire to appear inside the box. Nope, didn't happen, the wire just stops as if it goes into some hidden chamber on each end of the box. Wonder if the drain holes have been covered with some attempt to "seal" the inside of the box by a PO.

Am I missing something here? Please advise and thanks.

Shadowfax

Member III
I don't think you are missing anything. The water that the dorade catches should vent on to the deck. I would look to see why the PO closed them up by checking the vent into the cabin. I'd guess he was getting water in them.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Thanks Paul,

So the water that the dorade's catch should go into the "box" and then drain out onto the deck? Just trying to understand the function of this box.

Shadowfax

Member III
Kim,

Yes. Here is how they are supposed to work. The “box” that you see covers the air vent into the cabin and provides a base for the metal vent that you see on deck. You will notice that the two do not line up. The mental vent that you see on deck is usually aft of the vent into the cabin and the cabin vent has a “collar”, or stands proud of the deck. The box has outlets, or scuppers, that allow water to escape the box. The principle at work is that the air enters via the metal vent and flows to the cabin vent and into the cabin. Obviously water can enter with the air, so when it does the water falls inside the box behind the vent into the cabin, which has the collar, or curb, that keeps the water from entering the cabin. This water has to go somewhere or it will eventually fill the box beyond the collar and enter the cabin, hence the need for the mini scuppers in the base of the box. Yours are apparently clogged, non existent, or filled in. They need to be opened, or you are going to get wet.

Most dorades allow the metal vent to be removed and a cap installed for serious weather, but on a whole they work very well and are an asset. Enjoy

Last edited:

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Thanks Paul, now I get it!!! I will do some more fooling around with this and see if I can clear those little scuppers out.

Ray Rhode

Member III
Kim,

The dorade and deck box you are refering to is one of the problem areas on the 35-3. Mine and several others had major cabin leaks from them. The box in molded as part of the deck and the bottom of the box is a piece of plywood bonded into place. If not properly sealed this rots and leaks into the cabin. On Journey I had to cut the box off and replace the bottom and them reset the box. You might want to inspect the condition of the bottom while you are poking around.

Ray Rhode
S/V Journey
E35-III, #189

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
My E38 has the same type of molded in dorade box with the plywood floor in it. The survey indicated high water content in the deck around the dorade so it was assumed the dorade floor was leaking. I let it dry out, covered for a few months and then I poured in Smith Bros. CPES epoxy in two batches. CPES is a very thin epoxy that takes a very long time to cure. The result is the dorade floor is now completely sealed. The box scuppers were slightly clogged before I started so I made sure they were clear and check on them periodically. IMHO, the drain holes/scuppers should be bigger but I have yet to figure out a way to do this cleanly. RT

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Rob, where would I find the Smith Bros CPES Epoxy? The side scuppers were not cloged but the aft scuppers of the box were actually sealed shut with what looked like goop from the factory. I was able to drill out the scuppers and with inspecting the floor of the "Box", I think it would be safe to apply a nice thin coat of juice to it for a "peace of mind" for the future.

Thank you to all for your help on this.