Dodger on a 32-2

MichaelW

Hi all,

I am about to have a dodger made for my 32-2. I would welcome any advice from anyone who has been through this before...how high?..how far into the cockpit....keeping it clear of the winches.... anything.

Cheers

Michael White
Ilkara

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Height and size I cant help too much with on the 32-2 as I have a 38-200, but I would advise you have the frame made of 1" tubing as opposed to 7/8". Dodgers often end up being used as hand holds because of where they are located. A cool idea I have seen is to have actual hand holds on the dodger either on the sides as grabrails or on the aft edge by leaving the tube exposed in two areas near the edges. I would make sure to get a boot for it to store it folded up when not in use and/or a cover for it when opened. Especially want covers for the window sections as the sun is hell on them. Height is a tricky issue as IMHO the higher you make it the more it detracts from the lines of the boat yet if its too low it requires stooping to get below. Somewhere is a balance. I am happy with the height of mine. As for length you should give some thought to whether you will be adding a bimini at some point andhow large it will be. Other considerations are ease of getting and out of the cockpit with the dodger and bimini up. If it is too restrictive you will find it a PITA to get gear on and off the boat like groceries and getting on deck in an emergency could be an issue. I just went through all of this having a bimini made and so far am very happy with the set up. I need to get some pics of the finished job as it looks great.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Dodgers

I would thihnk you want it as high as you can have it, yet be able to trim the mainsail unimpeded.

But be careful-many people just measure it at the dock with the boom at its' normal resting place, or get clever and put the boom perpendicular to the mast and measure.

Both are wrong though-You need to go sailing in about 8-10 knots UPWIND, and sheet the main in as hard as you ever likely to do-THEN measure this height as the max...many times the boom is actually drooping below the 90 degree angle in these conditions!

I have seen many people very upset because the dodger won't let them sheet the main in correctly, all because they measured it wrong.

Enjoy!

S

dwigle

Member III
I would recommend a little less than chin height as long as it clears the boom. When I'm steering, I can easily see over the dodger standing and through the windows seated. When the autohelm or monitor is steering, the aft grabrail is at a convienent height to grab or lean my chin on.

Other recommendations are grab rails on the sides and aft, and depending on your climate, a center section in front that zips out to let a breese through on hot days. I also like to have the dodger come back several inches past the cabin top to provide some shelter from cross winds. You do have to be careful of winches and where the port jib sheet comes up to the winch as there is a possibility of chafe. A turning block or second jib car can help with that.

Good luck
Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E38 #8

MichaelW

Thanks

Thanks folks.

I appreciate the advice. So far I'm thinking that I'll keep it at 5'6'' (165 cm) above the floor of the cockpit but not let it come back beyond the top edge of the companionway. Hopefully I can balance seeing over it with not having to stoop to far to go below.

More measurements on the weekend. If I can figure out how to do it I'll post a before and after photo in a few weeks.

It should be fun measuring the height of the boom in a good southerly.

Michael
Ilkara

John Bouchard

Member II
Dodger on a 1974 E32-2

I have had a frame made for a dodger on my 1971 E32. I am using the dimensions of my friends dodger, which is on his 1974 E32. I have sailed on his boat many times, and feel his dodger is designed fairly well. He is 6' 2", and I am 5' 10". I had hoped to make the dodger this Spring, but.... It will now be a winter project, for use next season!

It is a "California" design - the side panels w/ windows are removable. It has split windows in the front that can be unzipped. This is invaluable for a breeze on hot days. It also has a zipper in the top aft end, and he can zip into this a large "fly" that he can stretch out over the cockpit to the aft stay for more shade while at mooring/anchor.

I Know the height above the cockpit sole is 60 inches (5 feet). I also have the dimensions that the frame maker needed to make the frame. If I can find them quickly, I'll send along. I do remember that the aft end of the frame, over the center of the cockpit, is about 18 inches aft of the comanionway.

Also, if I can find a photo or two, I will try to insert below..

I can provide more pictures or commentary if asked!

Hope everyone is having a great season! John B.

Attachments

• Aft view.jpg
    Aft view.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 220
  • Stbd view.jpg
    Stbd view.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 224

MichaelW

Dodger E32

Thanks for your advice John.

I have a 1975 E32. I think the removable side panels is a great idea as is the zippered section to let the breeze through in the hot weather.

I'm still trying to settle on the height above the cokpit sole but I think I will go for 5'6".

Thanks again. I will post a picture if I can figure out how to do it. Anyone got any avice onhow to do that!

Michael
Ilkara.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Hit the "post reply" button. Then scroll down to the "Additional Options" box, and click "manage attachments". Then you can upload a small picture from your computer (you have to resize it to about 300 x 500 first).

Or if the picture is on a website somewhere, just type www.your picture website address.com[/img*] (leave out that asterix when you do it)
The picture will show up in the text of your message.

John Bouchard

Member II
Thanks, Nate. I didn't know how to do the thing! In uploading a picture, the system on this site will indeed block too large a file... I recall the max size is 800 x 600, and I had to go back and resize a couple of times.

I'm sure the height of these dodgers is a personal thing, subject to the limitations and warnings in this thread, as well as your local conditions.

Personally, I have always kept the dodger down most of the time - I like all the air I can get! It's my wife that can't stand salt spray, so up goes the dodger whenever the wind/waves cause spray to reach the cockpit. (She's the main reason why I am under pressure to "get that dodger done!" She sits most of the time, anyway, so the 60 inch height I mentioned will work well for us. I'm usually behind the wheel (we call the helm cockpit the "bathtub") anyway, and the 60 inch height allows me to see forward pretty well.

On another related subject, I don't think I will incorporate the "fly" pictured above. I found "shadetree.com" or something like that, and saw a picture of a fairly neat "canopy" to provide shade when at anchor or mooring. It was being sold for over $1000. I bought some sunbrella on ebay for about $6 a yard, some flexible tent poles at Walmart, some webbing and clips at a fabric store... and built my own - for about $150. Picture below (Provincetown, MA a few weeks ago). And, I have plenty of fabric left to build the dodger!

Have Fun! John B.

Attachments

• Prvnctwn.jpg
    Prvnctwn.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 379

MichaelW

John

Your shade cover looks great. I was thinking of a similar solution and it's good to see that it is not only possible but that it looks good too.

For me the balance is between a dodger which I can see over and one which doesnt restrict the access to the companionway and the clutches for the halyards and reefing lines. I will probably keep it well forward and not let it come back over the cockpit much if at all.... basically to keep the wind and spray off .... and get any shade we need from a bigger shade cover like the one you have made.

I am 6 ft and my wife is 5'6". Forutunately she is happy to look through the dodger rather than over it. After seeing your friend's she is now insisting that it is totally clear. I havent seen one like that before, so 5'6" it is!

Thanks Nate for the advice re the photos.

Michael

Attachments

• ilkara.JPG
    ilkara.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 148
  • ilkara2.JPG
    ilkara2.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 153

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Nice canvas work!

John, That's a very nice looking cockpit cover!
If you want to start building them for us other Ericson/Olson owners for $150. a pop, I would like to be first in line!
:)
Of course, after you factor in your labor, the finished price will about triple... and then the product would be a little more like the ones at http://www.intheshd.com/ (aka "Shadetree")
and the cost from them, direct, ranges from $398. to $705. depending on size and material.
I have admired their awning design for years, but have not been able to budget for one just yet.

Best,
Loren in PDX
(whose boat has a hatch-width dodger -- a compromise idea to maintain vision forward)

John Bouchard

Member II
Michael, your boat is the only other one that I've seen (out here east, anyway) with a teak rub rail like mine! It looks to be in great shape. Mine is a bit worn...

Loren - Yeah, that was it, intheshd.com. Considering the straight retail price of Sunbrella (around $19 a yard!), the prices there are not all that bad. I don't know what the shipping would have cost. Mine is 10 ft. long, and 11 feet wide - but with 4 wands. I think it would have cost about $600 plus shipping.

I agree with you about the labor - that's what would prohibit me from making a few more. I do need my day job!

It did take me a while to do the job in cramped quarters at our (small!) home, and having done it once, I would be much more efficient. If you have the machine and the room to lay it out, it's really not too long a job! It's all straight cut and stitching. I've always done a lot of sewing, and I do intend to make my own dodger, using the Carpe Diem's (picture earlier) dodger as a model - so I bought extra Sunbrella, and away I went, basically practicing for the dodger effort!

On the Shadetree web site, click on "Setup" instuctions, and they show a picture/diagram of what the straps/attachments look like, and how they work. From there, it was a simple matter. Mine is not lined, like the commercial one, but the Sunbrella fabric is way adequate for the amount of time the canopy will be set up.

I kind of like the idea of the narrow dodger... but Elayne would not go for it! She's funny - loves sailing, but a little salt spray, and I've got to drag out the portable shower!

Take care. We're off to Woods Hole and the Vineyard this weekend...probably the last overnights for the season. Sad. However, even sadder are the pictures of the piles of boats and other things down on the Gulf Coast.

John B.