Dodger for '82 Ericson 30+

mark shotwell

Looking for anyone who has installed a dodger on a 30+. Ours has the main traveller mounted on a bridge deck traveller right in front of the companion way and looks like it will have a clearence problem with the aft edge of a dodger. Moving the traveller to a raised track on the coach roof would locate it pretty far forward on the boom and would most likely prove to be a leverage problem for triming and controlling the main. Any good proven ideas would be helpful.

Jewel

Member II
Dodger

Hi Mark,

We have a 28+ with the traveler on the bridge deck and a dodger also. The aft edge of the dodger ends about 6 inches before the mainsheet. The dodger fully covers the companionway and keeps spray out of the cockpit so we are happy. The only interference problem is when we are on a dead run, then the main sheet rubs on the side curtains when the boom is all the way out. It's easy to remove the side curtains but we almost always try to stay away from running dead before the wind.

Dan & Julie
s/v Jewel E28+
:egrin:

escapade

Inactive Member
Mark;
My previous boat was a 1980 30+ which we had a dodger made for. As was mentioned the main sheet can be a problem. What we had done was to make the side curtains removable (zipper in & out) which allowed for extra protection when going to weather but were easily removed for running off the wind. Was one of the best inprovements we made to the boat in the 8 years we had her. Height is a factor as the boom on 30+'s is rather low, but we measured the height with the main sheeted in tight and added aprox. 2" for clearance. Kept the cabin dry in rain & heavy seas even though you are limited again by the main sheet. Added lazy jacks after installing because flaking the main w/dodger in the way became a real pain! Definitely would recommend the addition.
Bud E34 "Escapade"

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Mark;
My previous boat was a 1980 30+ which we had a dodger made for. As was mentioned the main sheet can be a problem. What we had done was to make the side curtains removable (zipper in & out) which allowed for extra protection when going to weather but were easily removed for running off the wind. Was one of the best inprovements we made to the boat in the 8 years we had her. Height is a factor as the boom on 30+'s is rather low, but we measured the height with the main sheeted in tight and added aprox. 2" for clearance. Kept the cabin dry in rain & heavy seas even though you are limited again by the main sheet. Added lazy jacks after installing because flaking the main w/dodger in the way became a real pain! Definitely would recommend the addition.
Bud E34 "Escapade"

The Grey Dodger (2nd one) first one lasted ten years on Eden E 30+,#720 ;1986 Has a stainlss steel fram with handrail ideas stolen from Catalena 32 (my sister"s)
call Adrea's fault)but I degres. When I had the new mainsail made last year I had the angle of the boom raised to 90 degrees for clearence, on after thought I could have done with 95 and still cleared the Dodger amply my phrf rating is 196, it was 190 befor loosing some sail are from the leach However this has not in any way changed the sailng performance of the boat
as a matter of fact I think there has been an improvement, especially if you look at the race results in our division, I am constintly 3rd or fourth, we race on Sundays all winter, also tied with another boat for third best starts on average. See you at Poet's Cove Father's Day Weekend June 19-21 or Chemainus Theater Dinner Show and Cruise on the 24 th to see Damon Runyon's GUYS and DOLLS

sv-eden@telus.net

Last edited:

wiland

dodger pics

hi- do any of you have any pictures (or links to a picture) of a dodger on a 28+? Particularly the removable side curtains. THANKS