Dodger - fold down or leave up

Emerald

Hi all,

This may seem a bit silly, but wondering what folks have found over the long haul. I was fortunate to aquire Emerald with all new covers, including a new dodger. What I am trying to figure out is if for maximum life, should I leave the dodger up or fold it down. The benefits I see of leaving it up are not putting folds in the plastic windows. The benefit I see of leaving it down is protecting it from sun death over the next few years.

Any thoughts on care and feeding of dodgers and their plastic windows would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I suppose it depends on how much UV you get.... but here at lat. 47 most folks have individual covers for the plastic windows or have a drop-over cover for the whole dodger. I have the later, as does another boat on our row... from whom I copied that idea. :cool:
I also remove the whole dodger in November and put it back on in March or April, to protect it from winter storms and ice. Ditto the main with its cover and the RF genny.

For folding it down during the sailing season, I zip out the windows and store them flat or in a large roll, with a terry towel between each layer. So far we have gotten 10 years out of the current dodger, and the windows have not yellowed, although they do have some small scratches and chafes.

Replacement cost is high, and perhaps this makes me overly cautious...
:rolleyes:

You did not mention it, but have you looked at some of those hard-dodger top replacements? Nice (!) but so spendy that we will get some coring and cloth and make our own if we really want one, someday.

Best,
Loren in PDX

Last edited:

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I went through the same thought process, but only because I have a white dodger. I just leave it up. It got a little dingy but the windows, after seven years are like new. I use Pledge to clean them.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Just had this discussion with a friend

We keep our dodger up all summer. The canvas is still in great shape, but I'm thinking that we may get the edging re-done at some point (way down on the list of stuff that needs changed). My buddy suggested a product that I'll have to get the specific name of to clean and condition the windows. It's made to keep the plastic flexible (I'm sure somebody here knows of which I speak). I find that on the few times we've taken it down other than at the end of the season that I risk doing more damage than I do good. We've started to just fold it down instead. I also think it helps to protect winches and other gear from serious inclement weather and that stuff is lots more expensive than new canvas. Just my $0.02
Chris

kevin81

Member II
Dodger - up or down?

My suggestion is if you leave it up - get a cover. Last year I had a dodger/windshield made and the local sailmaker strongly advising using a cover if you leave it up. Md. is not as far south as Texas (my current home base) but growing up in Md. I remember the hot summers and strong, bright sunshine! If you don't get a cover, my 2 cents worth suggest taking it down when not on the boat. Attached is a picture with and without the cover on.
Kevin
E 34

Attachments

• DodgerandCover.JPG
    DodgerandCover.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 246

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
If you're not using the boat (at least 3-4 times a month) - take em' down, clean em and store em.

If you're using the boat - put covers on the lexan, and try to keep them clean (so dirt won't build up on the lexan only to be ground in by the cover when they press against it).

My dodger cost $4000 to replace - you really want to milk it for all it's worth.

My $0.02 ;)

//sse

Attachments

• DSC00008.jpg
    DSC00008.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 238

Emerald

Thanks all for the hands on experience with this. I think I am going to make a cover for it. My wife got a nifty sewing machine for Christmas. I think I might be the first to really use it :egrin:

-David
Independence 31
Emerald