Documentation Numbers

D & DM Cahill

Member II
Hi. We are new owners of an Ericson 38. The boat is documented but the previous owner painted the numbers in two inch letters in the lazarette. We know this won't cut it with our Coast Guard. I would like to know where others have put the documentation number on their boats, what was used for the numbers and how the numbers were installed. Any descriptions and/or pictures would be appreciated. Thanks. Dave Cahill

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Dave,

My boat's CG number is engraved, freehand apparently, into the forward surface of the forward engine frame and filled in with black paint or marker. See the attached pic.

If your boat was previously documented, do you think they're going to want to inspect for the number? I don't recall that I had to produce a picture when I documented mine, but maybe I did.

Who's your coast guard? We documented ours through our insurance agent in Anacortes.

NewFwdEngineMountJuly2004-small.jpg

Last edited:

D & DM Cahill

Member II
Hi Craig. Thanks for the quick response and the picture. Installing the numbers on the engine frame as done on your boat seems like a great place and meets the requirements. I am going down to the boat tomorrow and will take a look at the same place on our boat. We had the documentation changed over to us by the escrow company when we bought the boat. Since we live in Bellingham, we just called the local Coast Guard station to see what they thought about the numbers in the lazarette. (They didn't say anything about wanting a picture of the numbers but since the local station also trains new Coast Guard members, there is always the possiblility they will board us during a practice.) I appreciate your help. Thanks. Dave

Guy Stevens

Easy way

Get some plastic house numbers from the local ace hardware, the ones that are like 1/4 inch thick, then get some fiberglass cloth, light stuff, place the numbers where the paint is in the lazerrete and glass over them. Wet out the glass well, and make sure it touches all around each of them.

Voila

Guy
:)

Rhynie

Member III
I have had three documented vessels in the past 7 years; one of them had a mess of a paper trail on titles. The CG/Homeland Security office was easy to work with and helpful on all three.

When I sold the last one, the buyer was required by the mortgage lender to use a service through them to transfer the documentation and they charged him $475 to do it. Highway robbery, do it yourself for $80.

WBurgner

Member III
A bit fancy

Here is what a PO did for the Doc number. May not be technically correct, though, since the side panel the number is glued to can be removed with about six screws. Looks nice, though.
DSCN0015.jpg

D & DM Cahill

Member II
Hi Bill. Thanks for the example. One of the locations we have considered is putting the numbers in the nav station/quarter berth area and may still do so. Nice to have the picture of how it has been done in that area. We are still exploring using the Craig's example of the number installed on the engine frame. We are thinking of using a Dremel (sp) to cut the numbers. I also liked Guy's suggestion of using glassed-in plastic numbers. Thanks again for the input. Dave

Mindscape

Member III
Doc Numbers

We put ours in the back of the cabinet above the head. Used stick on house numbers and then brushed some expoxy over them.