Do you close your throughhulls ?

Do you close your throughhulls when leaving the boat ?

• Yes, always

Votes: 100 55.6%
  • Yes, when leaving the boat for more than a week or two

Votes: 34 18.9%
  • No, never

Votes: 43 23.9%
  • What is a throughhull ?

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Sven

Seglare
I'll admit that I don't but I'm thinking about making that part of the routine.

-Sven

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I close all but the galley sink. The sink is so high above the water line I even sail with it open. I installed a engine fresh water flushing system since I have a raw water cooled Yanmar. After every sail I flush the engine, close the sea cock and hang the ignition key on the sea cock handle so I will never forget to start the engine with it closed.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I don't sleep if I have left any of my seacocks open or the battery switched on.

Seacocks, hose clamps and hoses do fail. I had a seacock fail last year. Actually I think it was bad from before I bought the boat. It always felt like it was closing but it was broken internally. Marelon seacocks need to be exercised to continue working or they will break. They also need to be lubed at least once a year.

I think this is a weak point of some of our boats. Marelon through hulls and seacocks are not as good as bronze. I will eventually replace all of mine with bronze. I do not like the way they move when you operate the handle. They feel like they could break off at any moment. I have seen many boats with sch. 40 PVC, domestic gate valves and stuck seacocks. All of these can be potential boat sinkers.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I replaced all the old gates with bronze ball valves in 2002. I exercise them all pretty regularly except for that galley sink (a little hard to get to). I think Tim makes a valid statement so I will try to get in the habit of closing that sink. Interestingly enough, looking at the pole, it's about 50 / 50 open or closed.

Mike.Gritten

Member III
We closed all but the cockpit drains when leaving the boat (we live aboard) but are rethinking that strategy now since we have the cockpit enclosure. I was always worried that the cockpit would fill with the prolific rainfall we get here in a typical Vancouver winter and would sink the boat!

Glyn Judson

Water filling the cockpit!!!

Mike and all, Your comment about flooding the cockpit reminds me of a wild story told to me by the current owner of E31 hull #23. His high school buddy formerly owned her and kept her on a small one-mile square island he owned(s) in the Bahamian Exumas, anyhow I digress. Several year ago hull #23 was on a mooring slightly off his beach bouncing around in some pretty bad water during a hurricane. The then owner was helplessly watching from shore as the cockpit progressively got pooped again and again, becoming lower and lower in the water. He surmised that Mango tree leaves had been blown into the cockpit and blocked all three drains leaving it vulnerable to rapid filling in those conditions. The boat eventually sank in shallow water but to add insult to injury, he stated that at one point as the stern was sinking lower and lower, salt water must have gotten to the starter motor and engaged it because to his added horror, black smoke emerged from the exhaust and shortly thereafter, she slipped below the surface, engine still running!!! By some miracle and hard work on the part of the current owner and his buddy, they refloated her and got the engine, starter, alternator, etc all working again. As a matter of fact enough so that when the current owner bought her from his friend, he motor sailed her using that engine all the way to Florida where she's berthed today, albeit with a new Yanmar 3GM30F and many improvements such as to suggest that she's a new boat. How's that for a tale? If curious, please visit the photos section to see her (hull #23) at http://e31.no-ip.com/photos.asp Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
Last winter I changed all of my Marelon thru-hulls and seacocks to bronze.
When I was removing my Marelon thru-hulls it was very easy to break them apart with a small hammer. Not a very good confidence builder.
I close all of our seacocks when we leave the boat. 2 of the 4 cockpit drains exit above the water line and we have never had a problem with rain water building up and not draining quick enough.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Gary, I will soon be doing that also myself. Do you have any tips or info related to your project? A friend of mine just did this on his CS36 but he did not use flush through hulls. PM me if you have anything that I could use.

Thanks

SASSY

Member II
Thru-hulls

I never realy thought about closing the thru-hulls until we ran aground this summer. We got stuck in the sand in Boca Ciega bay Florida at high tide and as the tide went out we were left heeled over sitting on the keel with the rail in the water. My wife went into the boat to close all the port lights to prevent taking on water, to her suprise the head had filled with water up to the bulk head and spilled out onto the cabin sole. Because of the heel the sink in the head was now below the water line allowing see water to rush into the boat. Since then I always close the thru-hulls when ever they are not in use.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
But a note of caution...

On our 1984 E30+ I used to close all the seacocks, and could not figure out why the galley sink was half full of water (without the drain plug in it) when I returned sometimes. I puzzled over that for a while, until I discovered that the port cockpit drain and the galley sink drain exit through the same thru hull seacock. By closing that seacock, any rain would fill that cockpit scupper hose and eventually back up into the galley sink, which must be about that same height.

I have therefore learned to keep that seacock open, but close all the others for the reasons others have mentioned above. I'm hoping this may be helpful to other owners with the same cockpit/galley sink set-up.

If anyone can explain why Ericson used this strange arrangement, I would be curious to know. Also, if anyone has re-routed their scupper or sink discharge hose to fix this, without adding another seacock, please post.

Thanks,
Frank

Alice Snook

Do you even close the scuppers?

I am leaving the boat in the water this winter and I'm a little concerned about water getting trapped in the scupper hose down where it meets the thru-hull.

Crumbs and pine needles and dog hair etc go down those scuppers and I wonder if they form a clog at the thru-hull. If that freezes it could bust the hose and ... well you know.:confused:

Do you close the scuppers over the winter? I will only get to the boat every 12-15 days. What is the concensus?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Frank, you can solve this by putting a valve up hill from the seacock either on the sink drain or scupper line. As long as your boat has more than 2 sets of scuppers. I have 2 sets. One set goes thru a seacock above the waterline that stays open all the time. The other set goes to a dedicated seacock under the galley sink that is only opened and then closed again every time I get on the boat.

A valve on the sink drain could serve this purpose plus also be the sink stopper.

FullTilt E28

Member III
Closing the through hulls

I close the engine intake - and all others. Only one I leave open is the cockpit drain.

I've found the engine intake gets crap in it like fish etc so closing it when not in use keeps it all nice and clean.

Always pack a long bottle brush you can clear your through hulls with!!!

I learned that one the hard way.

Emerald

[snip] Also, if anyone has re-routed their scupper or sink discharge hose to fix this, without adding another seacock, please post.

Thanks,
Frank

Hi Frank,

I separated the two on Emerald without adding a thru-hull, but I cheated. What I'm not sure of is whether you can do the same cheat on other Ericsons. The Independence 31 was somewhat oriented towards offshore cruising, and as such, has a seawater intake for a hand (actually a foot) pump, in addition to the one tied into the fresh water tank for the galley sink. Since I'm not in need of rinsing things in the galley with seawater to conserve fresh water, I routed the sink drain through this thru-hull thus leaving the scupper on it's own seacock. I did enlarge the original 1/2 inch thru-hull to 3/4 inch so I could install a proper flanged seacock. If you don't have a seawater rinse in the galley sink, I'd just install a new thru-hull and seacock for the sink to separate them. That's what I did on my prior E-27.

Regarding seacock opening, I leave scuppers open to drain when I'm away, but I do check the boat every 1-2 days. I never leave the sink in the head or the water intake for the head flush open when not in actual use. Galley sink and engine cooling I'll open while on board for the duration of the sail.

Frank Langer

Thanks, David and others....

Thanks for all the replies so far. It seems that we have all given closure of seacocks some thought to find a balance between safety and convenience. It also seems that there are subtle differences between the various Ericson models. David, I do have a freshwater/seawater manual foot pump in the galley, but it connects to the same raw water inlet/seacock as the intake for the engine. So I could undo it from there and add a separate seacock/thruhull for the galley, but I would prefer not to have more thru hulls and seacocks than the seven I already have, not counting my depth sounder and knotmeter. So I'll have to ponder this a bit more.

I would prefer to have the cockpit scuppers discharge above the water line so I could leave them open all the time, but close all the remaining seacocks when I'm away from the boat. At the moment, I need to leave two open for the cockpit scuppers, which increases risk slightly.

However, thanks for all the feedback and helpful ideas--useful food for thought in planning next projects.

Frank.

Emerald

Hi,

to separate the sink, you could always put a T with a ball valve on the existing seacock. I would just make sure to use a "close" nipple -basically just threaded on both ends with no center distance - to keep the T as close to the seacock as possible.

Frank Langer

Thanks, David...

Thanks, David. That sounds like a simple solution, though in the longer term I'd still like to get the cockpit drains draining above the waterline, rather than through the underwater thruhull. That way I could close all the underwater thru hulls whenever I'm away from the boat, and still have cockpit draining. It's puzzling as to why Ericson didn't design this a bit better--doesn't seem like "rocket science". But I still like my Ericson. :egrin:
Frank

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Scupper Drains above the waterline

Frank,
Don't know about your Ericson 30 but on the Independence 31 installing scupper drains above the waterline wouldn't be advisable.
The cockpit floor is within inches of the high waterline, and at least in my case it's not possible to get hoses off the bottom of the drains and keep them above the waterline. There would always be water in the hoses and there's still the risk of losing a hose and sinking the boat.
I think you'd also have flooding issues if you had more then a few visitors in the cockpit or while heeled.
See the Link/ Drawing attached;
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-1/1138028/DSCF0007.JPG

EGregerson

Member III
alice

Alice; if you can get to the boat every 2 weeks or so, that should be good enough to keep the scuppers clear. Particularly right after a heavy rain (or snow and ice; rare in Irvington I imagine). I've had Va pine needles clog mine up; the big mistake is to go off and leave a boat for an extended period. I can't imagine scuppers draining into an internal area of the boat; it seems draining out (above the water line) is the way to go.