Do I need to sail to a muffler shop ?

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Remember the Harley engine was not in an engine box or living quarters, the flex has to leak at least a little. The rigid has worked for over three decades and should continue to serve well.

If’in it ain’t broke don’t re-engineer it

Walter Pearson

Member III
There are sources for flexible exhaust components. I cannot find the paperwork for the one I put in my exhaust system, but it was similar to those at:
http://www.flexicraft.com/Braided_Flexible_Connectors/TT/
I suspect the failure of my original exhaust system was largely due to the total rigidity of the solid piping. There was a fracture of the dry pipe just beneath the standpipe and the muffler mounts were pretty torn up and also had to be replaced. It is true the wall thickness in this new flexible portion is rather thin, but I check it every couple of years and it continues to perform.

bill nixon

You apparently have enough of the old muffler to give you the dimensions to have another made. I do have some additional drawings if you are interested. I modified the old design somewhat by adding a drain port as far down as possible. This gives me a way to completely drain the jacket and see if there is evidence of rusting going on and also helps me winterize by starting the antifreeze procedure with as little residual water as possible.
The other change was to slightly angle the outlet so the hose hugs the inboard side of the compartment instead of going right down the middle like it did originally. This gives a little better access to the storage space.

Somewhat confusing can be the references to waterlift mufflers - which this one is not. I guess it goes by several names - the one I like best is standpipe muffler.

The pipe union really helps to get this thing installed and I also added a flexible section near the engine. I had the idea that the rigidity of the whole apparatus contributed to the failure of mine. The other really helpful thing is that I had to cut an access section out of my quarterberth to do a prop strut job and that opening now allows me to get back there without having to do the contortionist thing entering from the cockpit.

Are the rubber flex mounts still in good shape where the bracket attaches to the bulkhead? I think I have some info for replacements if you need them.

Walter Pearson
'76 E27 "Mejagay"

Walter, can you send me copies of your drawings, I would like to have one made before mine fails! Thanks Bill Nixon email to bnixon1@columbus.rr.com