Dingy topsides paint

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
On our boat, the topsides has been painted over by a P/O. It is now very faded & drab in appearance. I have no idea what brand of paint was originally used, but Awlgrip, for instance, says do not wax their paint. They want you to use their brand of cleaner, followed by their polymer sealer, but I don't even know that I have their brand of paint, or is it another? Short of repainting, does anyone know how to resore some luster to topsides paint?

thanks,
Keith:confused:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I don't know about Awlgrip, other than that you have to use a different approach than for other paints. For "normal" paints, like Interlux one part paints, I would suggest washing with a sponge and really good soap cleaner (eg. simple green) to get any grit, stains, etc. off first. Then I would use Meguiar's #45 or #49 cleaner/wax, which takes off a small layer of scum, oxidation, minor blemishes, etc., and then apply two coats of #56 wax. I don't have any interest in Meguiar's or any other similar products, but having tried most of the top brand names, I have had best luck with their products.

Other options to consider, depending on how bad the paint is, include:

1) Using a rubbing compound first, which is a bit more aggressive than the cleaner/wax mentioned above, if you need to take off more of the existing grime, scum, oxidation (chalky look), etc.
2) You could sand with 1,000 grit wet/dry sandpaper, then wax
3) You could clean, ensure all the wax and oxidation is off, then fill any small gouges and repaint (I have had good luck on previous boats with one-part polyurethane like Interlux Brightsides or Petit Easypoxy, which are easier than the two part paints.

Those are my suggestions, based on my experience, but others may have professional expertise or other ideas.

Frank.

Emerald

Regarding the Awlgrip side, if you do at some point ascertain it is Awlgrip, do use their cleaner and sealer. It is very reasonably priced, and works very well. I say this with no interest other than keeping my own Awlgrip paint job looking nice and having followed the directions, and finding they worked :D

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
cleanin' topsides

Thanks for the good options. I think I will look to buy a small bottle of the Awlgrip wash (Awlwash) & try it in a small spot, then proceed with the sealer, IF it works well. If it doesn't seem to work well, I will go with the Meguiars products.

Awlgrip's web site says you can use acetone, too, followed by Awlwash.

Meanwhile, I will try some one part polyurethane on a couple of spots that have nicks or chips.

Keith:0305_bigg

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I am scheduled to have my boat Awlgripped this winter. Can I continue to use my custom canvas cover that comes down to the waterline or do I now have to worry that it will abrade the paint?

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Awlgrip & winter storage

Geoff,

See the link that David provided, above. They say to not have any cover, canvas or plastic wrap, tight against the painted surface, but to leave some breathing room. If your canvas cover has a spacer, it sounds like it would be fine. Could you add a spacer of styrofoam? You could use pipe insulation or something similiar to hold the canvas away. Cut it lengthwise into long strips only 1/2" wide.

Keith